About The Job
Salary: £51,764 to £54,823 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Northleigh, County Hall, Chichester
Interview date: 17 March 2021
As the County Planning Team Manager, you will be accountable for services relating to the County Council's statutory functions as County Planning Authority, and as a Minerals and Waste Planning Authority. This includes activities such as processing mineral and waste planning applications, processing Regulation 3 planning applications for the County Council's own development, site monitoring and compliance checking, and informal and formal planning enforcement action.
You will be the professional lead for this service area, advising the Planning and Right of Way Committee, Members, senior managers, and internal and external partners accordingly.
You will need to be able to lead and manage a customer-focused development management service, meet agreed strategic outcomes and priorities for this service area, and meet political, statutory, performance and financial requirements through the effective management of resources.
You will be able to ensure the continued smooth running and availability of services, as well as undertaking capacity planning and transformational changes to services. You will also be able to develop and gain agreement for the future shape of the development management service with the effective introduction of new systems or processes and overcoming the challenges these present.
As a member of the Planning Services Management Team, you'll work with the other Team Managers and the Head of Planning Services to ensure that a joined-up approach is undertaken to service delivery within the Service, the Directorate, and the Council.
Experience and Skills
- The ability to analyse and make sound, pragmatic judgements based on principles to tackle difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Sound partnership working skills including the successful co-ordination of other teams, stakeholders and consultees to deliver objectives. Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence actions by others and negotiate effective solutions.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions. Ability to set timescales and objectives and review effectiveness of service delivery.
- Effective research, evaluation and interpretation skills to derive conclusions and plan over the short to medium term.
- Effective people management and performance management skills with the ability to provide direction, leadership and support to individuals and teams.
- Project management skills including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Postgraduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to land-use planning (or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting).
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body such as the Royal Town Planning Institute (or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices).
- Expert relevant knowledge and experience in land-use planning, preferably including sound relevant operational experience in minerals and waste planning.
- Significant post-qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing/leading staff.
- Experience of managing income and a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spends.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 29 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00774 .
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.