Wirral is home to vibrant, energetic and engaged communities, people who take real ownership of their local area and are passionate about making Wirral a better place. The council and its partners have pledged to #BeTheDifference.
We’ve got ambitious targets to meet by 2025. To achieve everything we have promised to our residents, we need people who are driven and ready to deliver the very best for our communities - #BeTheDifference.
Assistant Planning Officer
Full Time, 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
This is an exciting opportunity to join Wirral and be part of the Regeneration and Place directorate. Our planning team have an opportunity as an Assistant Planning Officer, where the successful candidate will deal with all minor matters in respect of planning applications and inquiries, particularly in connection with domestic developments and minor commercial developments.
We are looking for someone who has or is studying towards a Planning qualification or related discipline. You will have experience working effectively with customers and demonstrate excellent communication skills including the ability to articulate information; to present clear, accurate and concise reports to a wide range of audiences. Knowledge of the relevant law, Government guidance, policies and practice relating to planning is also required.
Key duties for this role will include:
- To assist in the undertaking of all aspects of processing minor and householder planning applications including enforcement, in accordance with set performance targets and with appropriate supervision including:
- acting as case officer for planning applications, carrying out the functions required by the post holder in order to process such applications in an effective and timely manner, including validation, consultation, evaluation and recommendation;
- preparation of reports for Planning Committee and on delegated items;
- in connection with the above, to make site inspections;
- to liaise with other sections and departments of the Council and outside bodies/organisations as appropriate;
- to provide advice, information and assistance to Ward Councillors and the general public on planning applications and related matters
- With support to prepare written evidence for appeals, including Informal Hearings, as appropriate.
- To manage and respond to pre-application enquiries and correspondence in accordance with the Department’s policy.
- To attend meetings both internal and external, as required;
- Manage a range of communications in an efficient, effective and positive manner including by telephone, in writing and by e-mail and in person;
- Maintain an effective working knowledge on current interpretation and implementation of national, regional and local planning laws and regulations;
For an informal discussion please contact Kath Lawless by email at email@example.com
Interviews are anticipated for March 2021.
Do you want to #BeTheDifference?
Click below and tell us why.
Please note that in accordance with the Council’s policy, employees who are in a formal redeployment situation will be considered in the first instance for all vacancies.
It is Council policy not to re-appoint any employee who has left under the terms of the Council's Early Voluntary Retirement (EVR) scheme or who have left with a voluntary severance (VS) package, unless in exceptional circumstances.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on the closing date.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy earlier than the specified date should we receive sufficient applications.
Applications can only be accepted through the Jobs page following registration. Forms received via the post will not be processed.
All applicants invited to interview must evidence their right to work in the UK. Details of required documents can be found by clicking the link at the bottom of the Jobs page.
The job description and other supporting documents will not be accessible once the vacancy closing date has passed so if a copy is required you should download it now.