Salary: £40,876 - £43,857
Working Pattern: Full-time (part-time may be considered)
Location: Chichester (Countywide travel may be required)
We're looking for a permanent Business Manager for Children, Young People and Learning to support and work across a complex, multi-provider environment and ensure that an effective, efficient and professional service is delivered at all times.
As the Business Manager, you will coordinate with the Service Manager for Business Support and the team will manage administrative arrangements across the service, ensuring that the priorities set in terms of senior stakeholder work, Ofsted coordination, Improvement Board and statutory compliance are met to the highest standard. You will also be responsible for writing key reports and strategies for the department responding to central and local government calls for response. You will liaise and link between performance, finance and operations on key business activity including advising and supporting the financial and business aspects of existing and proposed service models, monthly reporting, commercial activity and analysing and interpreting complex data to inform business decisions, support risk management and monitor service performance.
In this role you will need to be able to confident in your communication at all levels of the organisation as well as external partners and the public. You will need to have experience and knowledge of statutory children's services as you will be required to work with senior operational managers to support them in the delivery of a range of statutory and high-risk services. Ideally, you will also have had a track record of managing an administrative service, capable of managing large budgets and understanding complex data.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to research, analyse and interpret information to make effective judgements in order to review the effectiveness of activities and service provision, plan long term and set timescales. Including the application of environmental scanning skills in order to take account of the broader impacts on business.
- Ability to anticipate problems, plan solutions and make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions and recommendations, which will have a wider service impact, particularly in relation to providing a varied and complex service, resource issues and partnership building.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence the actions of others and communicate information which may be complex and contentious.
- Including the ability to negotiate solutions across wide areas of the business and successfully convince others of the need to take a specific course of action.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions within the required framework.
- Ability to articulate problems and lead staff to a position where they can find and implement solutions.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies or equivalent management qualification or management experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of local Government Children's Services and ideally of Ofsted inspections of Children's Services.
- Experience of monitoring and setting budgets effectively to deliver a service within available resources.
- Experience of contributing to the development of business strategies and translating strategies into operational policy and procedure and delivering outcomes.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge e.g. Microsoft Office and expert at data handling.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do. As well as a generous pension scheme, you'll be entitled to 29 days annual leave with the option to buy up to 3 additional days. For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, please visit our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03078.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to referencing and a health check. You must be able to travel throughout the county including to locations that are not always accessible by public transport.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please visit our help applying for jobs page.