Salary: £23,080 - £25,481
Working Pattern: Full-time
Location: Bognor Regis
We're looking for a Return Home Interview Practitioner to join our Missing Children Team in Bognor Regis. When a child goes missing or runs away from home, care or school, they are at risk. When a child is found, the child must be offered an independent Return Home Interview arranged and completed by West Sussex County Council's Missing Children Team.
The Missing Children Team exists to provide an independent Return Home Interview to any child returning to their home or care setting after they have been reported to police as a missing child. This is to meet the statutory guidance on children who run away or go missing from home or care (January 2014). Return Home Interviews provide an opportunity for professionals to understand why the child ran away, to uncover information that can be used to reduce the likelihood of the child going missing again, to address the risks or incidents they may have been exposed to while missing and the risk factors in their home and social life.
As a Return Home Interview Practitioner, you will arrange and deliver these high-quality interviews. You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as experience of working in partnership with service users and carers, respecting their privacy and dignity and taking all steps to reduce the risk of harm to children and adolescents. You will be emotionally resilient as the work will involve exposure to children, subject matter or incidences, which may place emotional demands on you.
Experience and Skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with a range of clients with a significant degree of sensitivity and empathy.
- Work in a multi-agency environment, responding sensitively and flexibly to a diverse range of service users.
- Able to manage self; be self-aware and understanding of the impact of work on self and others, able to respond constructively to situations, balancing competing demands and recognising when to refer upwards and seek help appropriately.
- Ability to reflect on own practice and to learn from experience. To take responsibility for own performance and to be proactive in relation to own work and professional development.
- Sound and accurate IT skills including report writing, maintaining accurate records, confidentiality and protecting information.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- GCSE English and Maths or equivalent qualification or experience operating at this level of literacy and numeracy.
- QCF Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce (or equivalent) or demonstrable equivalent comparable experience.
- Experience of engaging children or adolescents who have experienced difficulties, listening and communicating with a significant degree of sensitivity and empathy.
- Experience of providing advice and guidance to adolescents and families.
- Experience of keeping accurate records, maintaining professional confidentiality and use of supervision.
- Valid and full driving licence.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do. As well as a generous pension scheme, you'll be entitled to 24 days annual leave with the option to buy up to 3 additional days. For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, please visit our website.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03104.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please visit our website.