Closing Date: 5 May 2021
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the Councils Corporate Debt team.
This is a successful team which provides the following service:
- Collection of unpaid council tax, business rates, housing benefit overpayments, sundry debt and other miscellaneous debts.
- Legal action through the magistrates and county courts.
- Referral of debts to and liaison with external contractors.
- Recovering debts through other statutory methods (E.g. attachment to earnings orders, direct earnings attachments, third party deductions)
The sundry debt assistant role involves:
- Data cleansing,
- Identification and correction of duplicate accounts,
- Sundry debt income collection,
- Chasing overdue invoices,
- Cash allocation/reconciliation and other debt recovery processes where appropriate.
It is essential that you have experience of working within a financial services environment such as Revenues and Benefits, credit control, account reconciliation or a similar related office environment Additionally you will have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel together with experience of data inputting with a good attention to detail.
If this sounds like the role for you, then we would encourage you to apply today.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Car Benefit Scheme from Tusker
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, please call Karen Powell on 01634 333732
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regard to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.