Job Title: Specialist Commercial Lawyer
Salary Range: Up to £66,215 p.a. (pro-rata for part time)
Hours: 37 per week
Employer Pension Contribution: HCC Employer contribution is 20.6% (it is reviewed once every 3 years and is a defined benefit scheme)
Applicants who are interested in part-time or fixed term roles are welcome to apply
Hertfordshire County Council offers an ideal opportunity for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and organised Lawyer to join a large and thriving public sector legal team. The Lexcel accredited Legal Services has over 100 employees, it is one of the largest legal departments in local government and provides a full legal service across all specialisms to both the Council and to other public sector bodies.
We are looking to grow our successful Commercial Law Group, central to the broad portfolio of legal work connected with Hertfordshire County Council’s major commercial projects, across all aspects of service delivery within the County Council, to support its aims and vision across Hertfordshire.
This covers a wide spectrum of specialist legal advice across complex areas of contract and procurement law, as well as company law, intellectual property and freedom of information. Some of the high value projects relate to multi-million pound contracts relating to highways, construction, provision of library services, outsourcing of major service delivery via wholly owned companies, which may require complex loan provisions or complex interpretation of significant case law & legislation.
What will the role include:
- Providing high quality specialist legal advice and support services to Hertfordshire County Council and other local authorities, public bodies and commercial organisations.
- Areas of focus for this post are strategic procurement & commercial contract legal advice, and knowledge of or ability to develop in company law.
- Support the expansion of the commercialisation agenda in HCC Legal Services including developing relationships with other public and private sector bodies
What skills we would like to see from a Specialist Commercial Lawyer:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with significant post qualification experience in commercial contract & procurement law, ideally with company law experience (but not essential)
- Dealing with major projects and negotiating complex contract clauses
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build networks inside and outside of the Council
For an informal discussion and more information about this post please contact John Oakley, Head of Commercial, Education & Health – Legal Services 01992 555671.
Closing Date: 16th May 2021
Interview Date: W/C 24th May 2021