Transport Procurement Category Manager
Fixed term – 23 months
Full time – 37 hours
RG8b (SCP 39 - 42)
£42,821 - £45,859
Reading Borough Council is a continually high achieving Transport Authority with a proven track record of service delivery.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within the Transport & Highways team! We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious individual with the drive and desire to make an impact. You will work within the Strategic Transport service and Highways areas to lead and fulfil procurement requirements in line with internal and public procurement guidelines in these areas
About the role
The main duties of the role will include:
- Work with stakeholders to establish contracting strategies to achieve value for money and mitigate risk.
- Oversee specification of works, goods and services ensuring service levels / outputs are correctly understood and achievable.
- Use the inhouse electronic portal “Intend” to run and manage the tender process
- Identify opportunities to reduce expenditure without compromising on service delivery
- Ensure contractual paperwork is correct, signed and processed in a timely fashion
- MCIPS qualification or substantial experience in public procurement
- Experience in transport / highways procurement for local government
- Familiarity with NEC and ICC contract documents
- A crucial part of this role will be your ability to work positively with stakeholders, the local community and elected members to deliver projects in line with the Council’s priorities.
- Able to work in busy department to deadlines
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities.
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop.
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work.
For more information please contact email@example.com Strategic Transport Manager or Gareth.firstname.lastname@example.org Procurement Category Manager
Closing Date: 20th June 2021
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.