Lead Software Developer
At Hightown, we’re a housing charity that builds homes and support people. As a rapidly growing Housing Association, Hightown has a dedicated IT team who support our ambitious growth plans.
We have an opportunity for a Lead Software Developer to help Hightown's Software Development Team to deliver a highly responsive service to colleagues and to play a key role in bringing about more efficient ways of working across the organisation. If you share our values, we'd love you to work for us:
- Putting our residents and service users first
- Treating people with respect, promoting independence and choice
- Developing passionate and committed teams
- Being cost effective without compromising standards or safety
Who we're looking for
- Do you have the relevant technical and people management skills?
- Are you passionate about and proficient in software development?
First and foremost, we are looking for a strong technical contributor who also has the ability to lead and manage a small team of developers. As the successful candidate, you would ensure that each team member develops the required skills and makes the best use of their knowledge and abilities to support the needs of the business.
We're looking for someone with the following essential skills:
- T-SQL – advanced
- C# – advanced
- People management – either experience, or ambition and ability to move into a management role
It would be advantageous if you had any of the following skills or experience:
About the role
This is a key role in the Association. Not only is it a hands-on software development role but also involves leadership and management of the software development team.
You and your team will engage in the development of new software projects for the Association, as well as the maintenance of existing applications and reports. You will maintain high code quality standards and assist with monitoring of data integrity. This is an influential role that is expected to generate new ideas for ways of working and to improve our existing software, and will contribute to the implementation of future new technologies.
In return for your hard work and commitment, we offer a considerable benefits package. This includes:
- Generous annual leave allowance of 33 days per year, including statutory bank holidays, rising to 35 days with service
- £50,178 pa for a 35 hours a week contract
- Regular support from your line manager and colleagues
- Annual bonus based on satisfactory performance
- Monthly attendance bonus on top of your basic salary
- Annual salary and cost of living review
- Commitment to health and wellbeing with the Five Ways to Wellbeing
- Ongoing professional development and support to deliver outstanding support
- Workplace pension scheme and life assurance of three times your annual salary
- Refer-a-friend scheme: Earn a £130 bonus for each friend you refer to work for us
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Employee assistance helpline
- Mileage paid for car usage
- Well-equipped on-site gym
We are currently working on plans to safely re-open our offices in Hemel Hempstead; it is likely that there will be an opportunity to work from home for one day per week. All candidates must be able to commute to our office in Hemel Hempstead once the offices do re-open.
Hightown is a charitable housing association operating principally in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. We believe everyone should have a home and the support they need, so our aim is to build new homes and to provide excellent housing and support.
We currently manage over 7,000 homes and employ over 1,000 full and part time staff from our head office in Hemel Hempstead. We have an annual turnover of £90million and a development programme that will deliver around 500 new affordable homes each year.
To apply for this position please complete an online application form.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.