Woking Borough Council is looking for the ideal candidate to join their Democratic Services Team as a Scrutiny and Democratic Services Officer to support the Council’s scrutiny work.
In the role, you would:
- Provide dedicated support 2 days a week to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee and its Task Groups, Working Groups and Project Groups. The remaining time to be spent supporting the wider duties of a Democratic Services Officer.
- Provide support for the Borough Councillors and Corporate Leadership Team, managing meetings of the Committees, Task Groups and Working Groups.
- Manage a training programme for Councillors, supporting the conduct of elections including postal votes, assisting in the award of community grants and assisting with various support activities.
- Provide a comprehensive, high quality and efficient support and advice service in relation to the Council's overview and scrutiny functions, managing the Committee’s work programme and working closely with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Members of the Committee.
- Provide high quality overview and scrutiny support including research and investigations, raising the profile of overview and scrutiny throughout the Council and with the Council’s partners.
We are looking for someone who works well within a team, whilst managing a range of their own roles and responsibilities. A key attribute of the role is the need for excellent communication skills, both spoken and written, with the role required to advise Elected Members and Senior Officers, support Scrutiny investigations and prepare agendas, reports and minutes. You will need to be able to take a flexible and adaptable approach, noting that the role will include some evening work. Overall, it will be your energy and ability to work with colleagues in a friendly supportive way that will ensure the success of this complex role.
Woking is a dynamic, ambitious and fast-paced council. However, we believe it is our culture that makes us stand out. Our team spirit and supportive approach to work means everyone truly enjoys working here. This is a high profile role working closely with the Councillors, Senior Management and partner organisations from across the Borough and beyond. You would have the opportunity to shape and develop the role to ensure that the best possible support is provided and the most successful outcomes achieved.
The Council offers a generous flexi time scheme with the ability to take two flexi days a month, membership of the local government pension scheme, discounted health and leisure membership, plus many more excellent benefits.
For further information, please see the attached job profile.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Becky Capon, Democratic Services Manager on 01483 743011.
Closing Date: 25 July 2021 at 23:55 PM
Interview Dates: 9 and 12 August 2021