Full Time, Permanent
£29,102 - £35,249 pa
The council is based in a beautiful location in Melton Mowbray, close to a train station and all major roads leading to each of the counties across the East Midlands, which makes it a brilliant location for commuting, when this required. Other critical factors include family friendly policies and flexible working, making the role potentially attractive not only to local candidates but also to those who may live outside of the average commuting distance. Prior to the pandemic the council was actively offering flexible working from home arrangements which is currently being reviewed as part of its new ‘way we work’ strategy to further develop this as a long-term solution which also fits with the Councils climate change agenda moving forward.
The role will report to the Senior Management Accountant and have no line management responsibilities. While we continue to work under restrictions, the role may be based largely from home and will continue to offer flexibility when the council returns to BAU.
The Financial Accountant will be required to provide accountancy service to budget holder in order to support them with the financial affairs of the service as well as take the lead on some specialist areas such as:
- Preparation of the Council’s capital programmes across all priorities providing regular reports to budget holders, senior managers and members on performance against the programme
- Provide cover for the day to day treasury Management arrangements
- Maintain and monitor the financial aspects of the Council’s lease register for inclusion and disclosure in the accounts
- Work with budget holders in order to set and manage a portfolio of budgets including the monitoring of income and expenditure, processing virements, supplementary estimates and budget reductions.
- Develop reports on the Council’s financial system and reporting systems, including spreadsheets, in order to provide budget holders and managers with timely and accurate financial information.
- Provide financial advice and training to budget holders and managers on budgets, accounting, final accounts, the financial management system and financial procedure rules.
- Provide financial information for external grant claims, statistical returns and management meetings as required.
- Assist in the final accounts process in accordance with CIPFA’s Accounting Code of Practice, ensuring all working papers are completed accurately and promptly.
- Liaise with external auditors regarding the final accounts, statistical returns and grant
- Either CCAB Qualified or part qualified with at least 5 years of experience in an accountancy environment and at least 3 years in Local Government (or wider public sector);
- Experience in management accounting, financial accounting, budgeting, final account, financial reporting and capital accounting
- Proficiency in the use of financial systems, Excel and Microsoft word and to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Team player with a positive attitude excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to deliver towards tight deadlines.
The role enjoys a fantastic benefits package aimed at enhancing the work-life balance and flexible working:
- 37hours per week with regular working from home and flexible working hours (no core hours)
- Occupational pension scheme based on average career earnings with the employer contributing 27.2% (with a 6.5% contribution from the employee)
- 24 days annual leave (rising to 29 after 5 years’ service) plus additional 3 days at Christmas
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Discounted Leisure Centre membership
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Occupational Health services
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free eye test
- Free parking
If you require any further information please contact David Scott on
To apply please visit the link below
Closing date: Noon on 3 August 2021.