JOB ROLE: Finance Manager
PAY BAND: Band 11
HOURS: 37 hours/52 weeks per year
REPORTS TO: CFOO
The Salterns Academy Trust is a learning community where every member of staff understands the difference that they can make to our students’ incomes. We expect all staff to be actively involved in the personal development of our young people and to show full commitment to their own and the Trust’s professional development.
The Salterns Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; and they expect all staff to share this commitment.
To work in close partnership with the Chief Financial and Operating Officer overseeing the Trust’s finances and providing professional management and leadership of financial services for the Trust.
To be accountable for ensuring the provision of the consolidated financial reporting to enable
the Trust to achieve its aims and objectives through the effective and efficient management of its
financial resources. This will include promoting best practice and ensuring compliance with the statutory financial requirements of Academy Trusts in line with ESFA guidance, company law and best industry practice.
To provide leadership, direction, and motivation to the Finance Team through sharing of knowledge and good practice and modelling professional standards
1. To lead and manage the Financial Management Team, ensuring that the function is delivered to the highest of professional standards.
2. To lead, direct and motivate the Finance team, including allocation of tasks, such that work is completed accurately and on time.
3. To ensure the Trust has appropriate financial systems in place and managing these in accordance with the agreed policies and timetable; ensuring accurate financial records are maintained and reported to the DfE, ESFA and Companies House.
4. To prepare the year end statutory accounts and the audit file for the year end audit of the Trust accounts; liaise with the auditors to reach signoff and filing of annual company
5. accounts according to DfE and HRMC guidelines.
6. To provide evidence-based figures and narrative to the CFOO/CEO on all aspects of financial management, and contribute to finding effective, long-lasting solutions to resolve process performance issues (and manage any associated risks).
7. To investigate ways of improving financial performance, including embracing digital solutions, and ensuring best practice guidelines are adhered to in each Trust school
8. To develop and update the computer-based financial and management accounting systems for the Trust and each academy, currently PS Financials.
9. To support the CFOO and the Executive Headteachers with the annual budget preparation and 3-year budget planning, ensuring the accuracy of scenarios provided and advising on available options.
10. To prepare monthly management accounts and other adhoc reports in a timely, accurate manner providing evidence-based analysis and narrative.
11. To prepare statutory financial returns required by the ESFA, TPS, LGHPS and HMRC (including VAT) as required
12. To provide financial information and reports for the CFOO and Executive Headteachers as directed.
13. To operate the Trust’s bank accounts and reconcile on a monthly basis, advising the CFOO on cash flow implications.
14. To direct and manage the school-based Finance Officers, ensuring that finance administration processes and enquiries associated with the following in each Trust school and ensure accurate, efficient service provisions (including ordering of goods and supplies, approval of invoices for payment, credit control function, regular banking of monies and checking accuracy of payroll information)
15. To mentor the Finance team, modelling professional standards and leading the development of their knowledge and skills base, to ensure business resilience.
16. To undertake fortnightly line management meetings with staff within the team, maintaining written records which include recognition of good performance and accountability and challenge where issues exist.
17. To participate professionally in the annual Appraisal Day, and monitor staff performance against agreed targets throughout the year.
18. To participate professionally in own Line Management and Appraisal meetings.
19. To establish and maintain positive, professional relationships with students, staff and external partners.
20. To be responsible for the monitoring of all school budgets in each Trust school and the subsequent liaison with the appropriate budget holders to ensure compliance.
21. To provide a back up to all financial systems within the Trust schools.
22. To prepare for the annual audit programme in line with the agreed timetable, liaising with auditors and facilitate all audit arrangements, and implement audit requirements, as they affect all financial activities in the Trust.
23. At the discretion of the CFOO or the Executive Headteacher, to undertake other activities from time to time agreed to be consistent with the nature of the job description.
• Recognised Level 4 Finance qualification (AAT level 4 or equivalent) or Level 3 with a commitment to complete Level 4 Finance qualification within two years
• Understanding of the financial functions and duties of a Multi-Academy Trust
• At least 5 years’ experience working in a senior finance role.