West Sussex County Council is a diverse organisation that provides services to more than 850,000 residents every day. As part of the County Council, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service (WSFRS) is focused on the delivery of a response, prevention and protection service operating to the highest performance standards to ensure the safety of residents and visitors.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Protection department supports businesses to comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and other legislation, so that building owners or managers minimise the risk of fire, have suitable and sufficient fire safety management, facilities and equipment, training and planning so that everyone in the premises are kept safe and protected from the effects of fire and can safely leave the premises in the event of a fire starting.
For more information about West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, please visit our WSCC Fire and Rescue page.
About The Job
Salary: £25,991 - £28,672 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Interview date: 23 August 2021
Your role is vital in keeping those who work, live and visit West Sussex safe through being responsible for carrying out Fire Safety audits and inspections to assess compliance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and other relevant legislation.
Working closely with and liaising with other organisations and enforcing bodies in respect of Fire Safety provisions within premises, you will support businesses by provide Fire Safety advice and influence them to make the necessary safety changes to the buildings.
You will gather information and as necessary issue enforcement notices and support compiling legal action files for investigations to give evidence in court
Your work will, therefore, sometimes involve exposure to people or subject matter which occasionally places emotional or environmental demands on the job holder.
Experience and Skills
- Developed, excellent verbal and written skills to communicate with a variety of audiences across all age groups, abilities, backgrounds and professional disciplines.
- Ability to build and maintain ongoing relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders to work within the regulators code and the Fire Safety Order.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to influence persons with control over premises, including professional officers involved in building developments and construction to change, adapt or alter their premises to ensure they are safe from fire.
- Ability to manage risk and apply it to Fire Safety legislation.
- Ability to proactively assimilate and analyse a range of information to formulate and implement Fire Safety solutions in a variety of premises.
- Good numeracy skills in order to maintain statistical records and carry out calculations on Fire Safety issues that are necessary to assesses risk, e.g. travel distances, floor areas and density factors
- Excellent prioritising skills to organise, plan and prioritise your own work to meet deadlines and targets with minimal supervision, and attention to detail.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Level 3 Certificate in Fire Safety
- NEBOSH General or Fire Certificate
- Risk management and the application of legislation
- Risk management and the application of risk-based Fire Safety legislation.
- Past experience of enforcement
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CPP00380 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Chloe Chatfield (Resourcing Advisor) at .