West Sussex County Council has an internal Facilities Management Team of over 60 staff that provides both maintenance and project services across our extensive and diverse property portfolio. This includes office buildings, libraries, specialist social services buildings, fire stations, schools and a limited number of listed buildings.
The Facilities Management Team is responsible for the provision of a professional, high quality service to our internal customers and people of West Sussex. For the engineering team there is a need to ensure that all buildings are safe and provide the appropriate levels of comfort. The current challenge is to identify opportunities and implement ideas to reduce carbon emissions across all activities to near zero by 2030.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our dedicated West Sussex Website to learn more!
About The Job
Salary: £36,922 - £39,880
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Worthing area (initially but a Countywide role)
Interview Date: w/c 27 September 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
We are looking for an organised and efficient individual to join our team as a Building Services Engineer, providing advice and guidance across the whole County. You will have regular site visits to meet with building users, external contractors and consultants in addition to closely working with our team of Building Surveyors and other FM staff.
You will be comfortable communicating with non-technical audiences including School Governing bodies, members of the public, external partners / organisations and internal clients, representing the County Council at local meetings by providing specialist, technical advice and information and providing technical evidence. You will have the resilience and empathy to listen to their requests but to diplomatically pursue the correct long-term solution.
Experience and Skills
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and resolve issues independently, planning solutions and make sound pragmatic decisions which will have a direct impact on the service.
- Highly developed customer service skills and the ability to seek and introduce continuous improvement and innovation, for self and team.
- Analytical and judgemental skills to analyse and interpret varied and complex technical briefs/projects and information to contribute to strategies over the long term.
- Ability to apply project management principles and practices.
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of external consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Sound and accurate IT skills e.g. use of engineering databases / software and Microsoft Office, in order to carry out service-related processes.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree or equivalent level of academic attainment, Incorporated Engineer or post graduate qualification within the specialist area, or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of advanced applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Membership of a relevant professional body e.g. Chartered or Incorporated Engineer - Desirable
- Detailed, thorough and considerable in-depth knowledge of relevant building services engineering standards and procedures, including a broad understanding of engineering design and construction procedures, techniques and statutory procedures gained over the last 5 years.
- Good theoretical and practical awareness of carbon management and how engineering projects and maintenance can impact on the overall sustainability assessment.
- Experience of mentoring and providing on-the-job training to other team members to meet objectives and deliver a professional service.
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets or projects within a technical service.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to the following benefits:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Generous Pension Scheme
- CPD and further training opportunities
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00830.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Tony Farrant - Professional Services Manager - at
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again. If you are unable to see the attached job description, please contact the Recruitment team at the above email address.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!