West Berkshire Council’s Network Improvements Team (Highways) are looking for an innovative, enthusiastic and focused individual who will lead on the design and implementation of a wide range of schemes both in active travel and highway improvements. As an organisation we are looking to design and construct a wide range of innovative cycle and pedestrian schemes over the coming years that focus on the promotion of active travel.
The successful candidate will help shape the Council's active travel programme and help deliver modern, dynamic and pioneering schemes that provide exceptional infrastructure for the public. There is a determination to provide high quality and value-for-money services whilst challenging and changing the preconceived ideas and status quo.
We are looking for a Project Engineer who will lead/assist in the design and construction of a variety of highway/sustainable transport improvement projects.
- Be responsible for and lead small and medium size schemes through from inception to construction.
- Assist the wider team working on numerous large scale highway improvements schemes.
- Compile specifications, bills of quantities and contract documentation for civil engineering works.
- Contribute and help other departments as and when required which could include, drainage, intelligent transport systems (traffic signals, EV charging, etc.) and highway maintenance.
- Demonstrate that you are creative and forward thinking with a continued drive to implement new technologies, practices and design features within a fast changing industry.
- Work closely with external and internal stakeholders, contractors and the wider public.
- Have knowledge of the latest Active Travel design principles particularly LTN 1/20.
- Be skilled in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office packages.
People are the driving force and West Berkshire Council recognises and supports all staff by rewarding them with an excellent package including the opportunity for industry training, flexible working hours (office and home working), family friendly policies and enrolment in the Local Government Pension scheme. You will also be entitled to a generous annual leave entitlement of 28 days per annum rising to a maximum of 33 days.
For an informal discussion about the above post, please contact Clive Tombs (Senior Engineer) on 01635 519229.