Here at West Sussex County Council we are working to transform Adults' Services. We're embracing a strengths-based approach and working towards a community led support model that builds on the assets and strengths of both individuals and their local communities. Together, we'll focus on prevention, enablement, reablement and safety, to promote wellbeing and independence. We'll ensure that residents, families and communities have the right support in place, and at the right time.
We provide a working environment that values professional supervision and support. This provides our workforce with what they need to deliver the best possible outcomes for our residents. We work to ensure that innovation and evidence-based practice underpins what we do and that we maintain an environment within which our Assessment Officers can develop and progress in their careers. If you have the talent and ambition to achieve the best for the people we serve, then we will support you to progress and develop throughout your Social Care professional career.
Why not have a look at our dedicated Occupational Therapist website to learn more!
About The Job
Salary: £23,080- £25,481
Working Pattern: Part-time (22 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Interview Date: October 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
Are you resilient, adaptable, organised and able to work in a fast-paced environment? Join our team as an Assessment Officer in our Acting Care Point Team and be part of a strong team of individuals looking to make a difference.
The ACP2 (Acting Care Point 2) are a multi-disciplinary team including Occupational Therapists and Social Workers. The team is the access point to Adult Social Care in West Sussex and their key role is to undertake an initial telephone Care Act (2014) Assessment.
You'll work efficiently and accurately across your work, completing statutory needs assessment with customers who are approaching WSCC for advice, guidance, equipment, technology enabled care, adaptation, care and support.
You will enjoy working with people and possess good communication skills to be able to speak to a range of different customers, carers and families. There will be a need to be resilient as in some circumstances your calls could be distressing, abusive or aggressive due to the nature of the work.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret information received over the telephone in order to complete an assessment with customers and their families, assessing needs, setting objectives and reviewing progress.
- Ability to engage in partnership with customers and their families, in order to effect positive change.
- Able to manage self; is self-aware and understands the impact of work on self and others, able to respond constructively to situations, balancing competing demands and recognising when to refer upwards and seeking help appropriately.
- Ability to reflect on own practice and to learn from experience. To take responsibility for own performance and to be proactive in relation to own work and professional development.
- Ability to work in a multi-agency environment, responding sensitively and flexibly to diverse groups and customers whilst maintaining confidentiality in order to deliver a service to others
- Sound and accurate IT skills, with the ability to maintain clear, accurate records of all work undertaken and produce records, reports and correspondence for a variety of audiences.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- GCSE English and Maths (C grade or above) or equivalent qualification or experience operating at this level of literacy and numeracy.
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Care (or equivalent) or demonstrable equivalent comparable experience - Desirable
- Significant experience of using a range of interventions in working with customers and their families.
- Experience of using assessment planning and reviewing processes.
- Experience of forming effective working relationships within a multi-agency setting.
- Experience of working with customers and their families in crisis or complex situations - Desirable
- Experience of working in a Social Care environment - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to the following benefits:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Generous Pension Scheme
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03116.
For an informal conversation regarding the role, please contact recruiting Team Manager - Martin Standish @ .
For an informal conversation regarding the application process, please contact Daisy Doyle (Resourcing Advisor) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again. If you are unable to see the attached job description, please contact the Recruitment team at the above email address.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to HCPC registration, an enhanced DBS check and 5 years referencing.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!