Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the role
London Borough of Hillingdon is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Solution Development team in ICT.
This post is a key role in the design, programming, integration, testing, supporting, documentation and maintenance of new or amended software systems within agreed development and security standards and processes; the software engineer will translate requirements into workable programming code, maintain and develop programmes for use in the business as well as conducting user-acceptance testing to ensure the software system can be used easily, quickly and accurately.
You will also be required to provide all aspects of second line support for a number of third party (COTS) applications as required by the Software Engineer Team Leader or Solutions Development Manager.
It is a busy and demanding role within an excellent working environment and a friendly team.
Your application must demonstrate the following essential experience and skills:
- Knowledge and experience in supporting COTS software applications, integrations or interfaces
- Experience using two or more technologies or languages in support of applications, such as TSQL, Oracle SQL, MS Powershell
- Trouble shooting and 2ndline support
The ideal candidate may also have some development experience in one or more of the following:
- API web services, such as REST API or SOAP
- MS SSIS, ETL processing and SQL server databases
- Business intelligence reporting using SAP Business Intelligence or similar
- Any development experience using MS Power Apps or Power Automate
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.