We are seeking a Data Scientist to help and support the innovative work of our Corporate Business Intelligence function.
We are looking for a candidate who can lead on the use of innovative data science techniques to produce insight and analysis about the borough and performance of Council services, drive the creative use of data within the Council and in collaboration with external sources, guiding others to make best use of data for service planning and development, and Inspire interest and engagement in data through creative analysis techniques and the visualisation of complex numerical information from both internal and external sources.
This is an exciting time to join Waltham Forest – London’s first Borough of Culture and the winner of the “MJ Council of the year” award. This is your chance to join an ambitious, people-focused organisation during a time of significant change, transformation and new challenges.
- Lead the implementation of creative and innovative approaches to generate new insights about the Borough and Council services.
- Lead on projects to identify high-value opportunities, frequently take charge of scoping and delivering those projects, using the Agile delivery framework.
- Navigate complex datasets and solve business queries in an efficient manner. Lead and coach others in this area.
- Pioneer and shape the development and use of dashboards (e.g. PowerBI, R Shiny) to facilitate the visualisation and dissemination of data to key stakeholders and the public.
- A strong understanding of statistics and probability. Highly numerate, with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent programming knowledge in either R or Python. Produce clean, reproducible, and commented code which can be used by the wider team. Promote automation using programming across the wider team.
- Data analysis and storytelling. Exceptional communication and presentation skills. Visualising data to present the ‘story’ of data in a meaningful way, to technical and non-technical users, using tools and packages such as ggplot, Excel, leaflet and Power BI. Propose solutions to analytical problems using a data driven approach; supporting strategic and operational decision making.
- Data wrangling. Extract, transform, and load data using tools such as Alteryx. Creating tidy data using missing value imputation, outlier treatment, correcting data types. Ability to work with unstructured data, such as social media posts.
- Database management skills. Ability to access databases by SQL. Ability to access data from external sources, such as through APIs.
- A strong understanding of data exploration and analytics, including problem solving.
- Ability to generate predictive models and understand how they work. Build credible statistical models from data and using the best coding practices.
- Experience in natural language processing; supervised and unsupervised machine learning; model validation.
- Ability to consistently deliver quality outputs in a fast-paced environment, work to tight deadlines, and contribute to a fun, fast-paced, high impact and dynamic environment