We are recruiting to two full time, permanent technical accountant posts within our Finance Strategy Team. This is a friendly, experienced and committed team which provides accountancy support and financial expertise to all of the Council’s Services and is held in very high regard across the Council.
The posts will provide the successful applicants with the opportunity to help shape how we deliver our budget, financial statements and our substantial capital programme so we are looking for highly motivated, innovative and conscientious individuals with relevant qualifications and experience. Both posts will work in our technical team to deliver the Statement of Accounts and Audit, however one will lead on the Council’s Collection Fund including budget projections, statutory returns and final accounts, while the other will focus on capital, leases and group accounts.
The successful candidates will:
- Be highly motivated and conscientious,
- Have experience or an understanding of local authority finance and accounts, ideally including experience of the year-end closure process and the preparation of the annual Statement of Accounts in accordance with the CIPFA Code of Practice and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Hold a relevant financial qualification, CCAB/AAT etc.
- Have strong Excel skills together with the ability to navigate accounting systems and ICT applications.
- Have the ability to solve complex problems, and an analytical nature which contributes to the delivery of a high-quality technical service.
- Be a confident communicator, who is able to build strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Be innovative and proactive in making improvements and implementing changes.
- Have a flexible approach and the ability to plan and prioritise competing workload demands to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Car Benefit Scheme from Tusker
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, please call Katy Durkin on 01634 332355 or e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews are due to take place week commencing the 8 November 2021
Interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.