Rutland County Council are recruiting for a Governance Manager to manage the relevant procedures and processes that enables the Council’s decision making through Council, Cabinet, Committees and other Member bodies and officer groups. The Governance Manager will be an experienced democratic services officer who will lead a team to provide a governance service that sits at the heart of Rutland County Council. This is a varied role that will see the postholder working flexibly to adapt to changing priorities, working collaboratively and promoting involvement, engagement and ownership within the team and the Council as a whole.
- Educated to a degree level or significant experience in Democratic and Members’ Services
- Experience and an excellent understanding of Local Government
- High level of interpersonal skills that enable engagement with officers, members, the public, agencies, and partners to ensure the continued professional image of the Council.
- A leader who can deliver change and transformation through creative and innovative approaches.
About the role…
- Identifying improvements and maintaining a number of key Council documents in line with legislation and latest thinking including the Constitution, Members’ Code of Conduct and Forward Plan, ensuring they are fit for purpose.
- Interpreting a range of complex legislation, statutory guidance and the Constitution and apply it to facts where there has been no precedent.
- Identifying where departments may not be working within legislative requirements and finding practical solutions to achieving aims.
- Constructing and researching complex advice to write reports to members and officers which balance legislative requirements and business needs.
- Acting as the statutory Scrutiny Officer and advising the lead Scrutiny Panels in carrying out an effective Scrutiny function.
The Governance Manager interviews will be held on 11 November 2021. Please be advised this could be subject to change, in which case we will give appropriate notice.
Our offer to you:
We offer work that makes a difference to people’s lives, a safe working environment; structured salary reviews; generous annual leave entitlement plus 8 days paid bank holidays; local government pension scheme and an occupational health service via our HealthAssured membership. Rutland County Council encourages a healthy work life balance, and we welcome discussions regarding flexible working.