Do you have an interest in local government, constitutional processes and democracy? Rutland County Council is looking for an organised and highly motivated Scrutiny Officer to provide support on governance processes to elected Councillors, supporting them in their statutory role.
- Educated to A Level standard
- Organised and accurate with a keen eye for detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, confident and diplomatic when dealing with elected Councillors
- Excellent IT skills, able to use Microsoft office packages
- Excellent written and oral communication, able to present information, compile reports and take minutes
- Flexible to meet changing priorities and demands of the role
About the role…
As the Scrutiny Officer you will be working as part of a small close-knit team, at the heart of the Council and reporting to the Governance Manager. Duties will also include:
- To provide professional procedural advice to members, officers and the public on the law and practice of governance processes such as delegated decisions, interests and the Forward Plan/Key decisions lists and ethical standards
- To undertake the duties of committee administrator for Council Committee meetings and lead member meetings
- Provide advice and support to the political and managerial leadership of the Council and its scrutiny committees, thinking and acting innovatively and creatively to support the Chairmen and members of the Scrutiny Committees
- Provide advice, guidance and support to senior managers, other colleagues and scrutiny committee chairs and members on corporate policies, implementation of strategic objectives, and scrutiny requirements and activity
- Monitoring the contents of the Constitution in respect of the Council’s committee procedure rules and advising/liaising with the Governance Manager on any necessary amendments
Please note, the successful Scrutiny Officer will be required to provide administrative support at some evening meetings.
The Scrutiny Officer interviews will be held on 11 November 2021. Please be advised this could be subject to change, in which case we will give appropriate notice.
Our offer to you:
We offer work that makes a difference to people’s lives, a safe working environment; structured salary reviews; generous annual leave entitlement plus 8 days paid bank holidays; local government pension scheme; occupational health service and flexible working policies to enable you to balance work and home commitments.
Rutland County Council encourages a healthy work life balance, and we welcome discussions regarding flexible working.