Plan Making Team Leader (Grade M: £ £53,574-£ £56,754)
Reporting to the Strategic Planning manager, you will take a lead on the preparation of the plans that will shape the future of Tower Hamlets, engaging with, and reflecting the needs of Tower Hamlets’ diverse communities. You will be leading the Team who are responsible for the provision of high quality, specialised plan making, specifically the development, production, endorsement, monitoring and review of the Tower Hamlets Council Local Plan, supplementary planning documents and any other relevant spatial and/or specific strategies, evidence base documents, assessments and research studies.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managerial responsibility for leading a team of professional planning officers, ensuring effective team working and a culture of continuous performance improvements
- Leading in designing and guiding the overall strategic spatial policy direction for land use, development promotion and regeneration within the Borough and ensuring the timely completion
- Leading on a programme of plan making and related technical, monitoring and consultation documents, allocating resources effectively and efficiently
- Ensuring appropriate consultation and engagement with Tower Hamlets’ diverse communities
- Leading initiatives and forming relationships with other governmental bodies and local authorities
- Leading the co-ordination, preparation and presentation of consistent, clear and effective input and responses related to changes to the planning system including the effective implementation of these changes, ensuring the best approach for Tower Hamlets
The successful candidate will also assist the Service Head and Deputy Service Head in the management of the section (Strategic Planning) and in their absence or as delegated, take on additional responsibilities within the post-holder’s area of expertise.
You will also represent the Council at meetings, including Examinations in Public, Court Hearings and Public Inquiries, as the Council’s expert witness, and to prepare and present detailed advice and reports ensuring that the advice given is in accordance with the best professional standard.
You will be required to communicate effectively and confidently with internal and external colleagues and engage with senior officers and managers of the Council, Members, the Mayor of Tower Hamlets and Tower Hamlets communities, as and when required.
This post will require eligibility for chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
Additional Employee Information
The Council is looking to fill this position on a permanent basis with the successful candidate needing to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of all matters relating to planning in an inner city context, experience in preparing plans and strategies to manage growth, as well as detailed knowledge of management techniques and their appropriate use. You will need to possess excellent people-management skills, including the ability to deal collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation.
For an informal discussion please contact the Strategic Planning manager, Marissa Ryan-Hernandez on Marissa.Ryan-Hernandez@towerhamlets.gov.uk
Applications close Sunday 28 November 2021, and it is intended that interviews will take place from week commencing 6 December 2021.
Tower Hamlets is a modern, forward thinking local authority, offering flexible working arrangements, generous annual leave, local government pension scheme and other staff benefits.
This post is open to the following types of applicants: Redeployees/ Internal/ External/ Agency
If this role is available to Internal employees only, this will include agency workers but does not include independent contractors or Skills Match trainees
All applications should be made via our online application system, no CV’s or alternative forms of applications are accepted. Internal employees should apply via the council's Intranet. External applicants apply via the Council's website www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/careers