As a Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) and a Coast Protection Authority, North Somerset Council are responsible for managing the risk of flooding from surface water, groundwater and ordinary watercourses. As the Flood Risk Officer, you will have a key role in ensuring that policies are followed, and flood risk is appropriately managed for residents.
We are seeking someone with a background in flood risk management, and experience in sustainable drainage to join the team. You will be working within an experienced team, which will enable further development of skills. The role is varied and exciting, with opportunities to contribute to both inland and coastal aspects of the authorities work in managing its statutory flood risk management duties within the unitary area. We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with experience in reviewing sustainable drainage plans as part of the development management process, and willing to get involved in developing flood risk mitigation schemes and progressing new projects.
About the role:
As the successful candidate, your role will include:
- Supporting us in delivering our Statutory LLFA duties and Coast Protection Authority roles
- Reviewing and advising on Sustainable Drainage matters as part of the Development Management process;
- Issuing Watercourse and Land drainage consents;
- Working with key stakeholders including the Environment Agency, IDB, water companies, neighbouring LLFA’s and our residents to manage flood risk;
- Undertaking flood investigations and maintaining relationships with affected landowners and stakeholders to establish the causes of flooding and determine potential mitigation to reduce the risk of flooding happening again;
- Working to develop flood risk alleviation schemes and engaging with key partners
- Working within a wider green infrastructure team helping to deliver broader environmental objectives
For an informal discussion, please contact Simon Bunn, Flood Risk Manager on 01934 427362.
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 22 December 2021
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.