Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
Are you a highly motivated and enthusiastic finance professional?
If so come and join us at Gravesham Borough Council, where an exciting role has arisen within our Financial Planning and Housing Team. As the Deputy Principal Accountant you will play a key role in proactively managing the Council’s Treasury Management function and support the newly formed Housing Directorate.
A summary of the main aspects/requirements of the role are:
- Support the Principal Accountant in managing the Council’s strategic and day to day Treasury Management activity, including placing investments and arranging external loans to finance the capital programme as well as liaising with the Council’s external fund managers.
- Budget setting, monitoring, reporting and year end processes for the Housing Revenue Account (HRA).
- Maintenance of the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) 30 year business plan.
- Oversee the Council’s bank reconciliation process.
- Line management responsibility.
- Being self-motivated, and well-organised with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ideally candidates would be at least part-qualified with one of the recognised accountancy bodies.
- Experience of working within a financial environment, liaising with both finance and non-finance staff.
- Provides an opportunity for the candidate to expand their skills and experience within a friendly finance team and dynamic Council.
So what are you waiting for? Apply today and we look forward to receiving your application.
Gravesham Borough Council is a CIPFA Platinum Accredited Employer.
In return we offer you:
Childcare vouchers and discounts
Government-approved, tax-efficient way of paying for childcare. You can use vouchers to pay for a wide variety of childcare for children up to the age of 16. Discounts at selected retailers in the town centre and reduced membership at local Leisure Centres.
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme by Care First
Care First is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, please email Alexandra Jarvis Principal Accountant – email@example.com to arrange.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is working towards equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.