Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
Responsible to the Facilities Officer for casual cover of the cleaning team in the event of absences covering the cleaning of the Civic Centre (including the Council Chambers), Public Conveniences & Brookvale Depot.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- To ensure that the Civic Centre (including the Council Chambers), Public Conveniences & Brookvale Depot including the interior and exterior of the building are well presented and maintained to a high standard of cleanliness at all times.
- To be responsible as appropriate for the opening and closing of the public conveniences and carry out a full safety check of the building as part of the opening and closing process, reporting any maintenance related items to the Facilities Officer.
- To ensure the facilities are fit for use and remain free from hazards. To report all maintenance and repair issues to the Facilities Officer; including the reporting of any Health and Safety concerns.
- Report any maintenance tasks required to the Facilities Officer including but not limited to leaking taps, blocked WCs, defective lamps, fixtures and fittings and ensuring cleaning machine function correctly.
- The post holder will be required to assist with the cleaning of the Civic Centre (including the Council Chambers), Public Conveniences & Brookvale Depot during council run events, including evenings and weekends.
- The post holder will need to be flexible and be able to commit to working a variety of shifts across 7 days a week.
- To replenish all hand-towels, toilet rolls, soaps, hand sanitisers as and when required.
- To undertake all training arranged, reasonable to position.
- Any other work as can be reasonably required for the daily operation of the facilities and Council managed buildings.
- To effectively dispose of waste and recycle effectively where possible.
- To ensure that sharps and needles are disposed of safely and to communicate sharps and needle findings to the Facilities Officer.
- To carry out water and tap flushing of the water outlets as directed by the Facilities Officer.
- Maintain sufficient cleaning stock at all times and liaise with the Facilities Officer when an order is required.
- To report anti-social behaviors and any crimes to the Facilities Officer.
- To ensure that the mobile phone provided when cleaning the public toilets is on and accessible at all times during working hours.
- To assist any contractors that may be working within the Civic Centre (including the Council Chambers), Public Conveniences & Brookvale Depot.
- Experience of working in similar cleaning role.
- A sound understanding of COSHH and Health & Safety practices.
- A full UK Driving License. (Willingness to drive commercial vehicles)
- First Aid qualification.
- Experience operating cleaning machinery.
In return we offer you:
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help, whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Mark Clack on 07511-046201
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.