Senior Project Officer Climate Emergency
Wokingham Borough Council is seeking to recruit an experienced, innovative, and highly motivated professional experienced working with multiple stakeholders in the public and private sector. You will have excellent communication and leadership skills to help speed up the delivery of the Council’s Climate Emergency Action Plan (CEAP) and wider climate change agenda.
In this role you will be responsible for managing a suite of projects presented in the CEAP, provide in-house specialist technical advice to help develop policy, plans and generate income. You will also identify new opportunities to reduce carbon emissions and engage further with partners to develop strategies that will enable the uptake of borough-wide renewable energy, enhancing our resident’s energy efficiency knowledge to help them change behaviours. This position will support borough-wide retrofitting schemes and provide further engagement with housing developers, suppliers, subcontractors, and stakeholders to tackle the decarbonisation challenges and the skills gap.
Given the cross-cutting nature of this role, you will support and coordinate a number of working groups and initiatives. You will have regular contact with officers as well as with our wider stakeholders including executive members, civil society and businesses.
This newly created position reports to the Climate Emergency Manager and will work closely with officers across the council.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Project manage a suite of projects presented in the CEAP, coordinate working groups and initiatives and support officers to assess alignment of priorities to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030.
- To proactively and collaboratively work with communities, organisations, and other stakeholders to deliver projects at a neighbourhood level.
- Engage with a range of third-party organisations to develop partnerships and take forward collaborative work to develop methodologies, approaches, and improve data availability to support implementation of net zero actions and strategies.
- Keep abreast of legislation, national and regional policy and best practice relating to climate change. Help support dynamic and meaningful decision making, by drafting briefing notes and reports for senior officers, Cabinet members and other key audiences to ensure a shared understanding on key issues.
- To ensure everything the council does has the climate emergency at its heart.
- Writing reports, climate action strategies and delivery plans
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant field, such as energy, built environment and/or engineering.
- Have a proven track record of planning and delivering project work using agile project management methodology. The post holder should demonstrate excellent project and performance management skills.
- Knowledge of current climate change and sustainability policy issues affecting local authorities, relevant legislation, and statutory duties
- Knowledge of producing and implementing technical solutions to decarbonise buildings, improve energy efficiency and install renewables
- Successful experience of working in an environment where influence, negotiation and persuasion are significant levers
- Experienced communicator with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and an ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Candidates must be able to bring a flexible mindset, challenge traditional thinking, and be prepared to work outside of their comfort zone.
- Ability to use Microsoft suite
If you are interested in being part of a dynamic and high-profile team would like to discuss please contact Diana Tovar 07789744878
Closing date: 11pm, 20th January 2022
Invitation to Interview: Wednesday 2nd February 2022
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.