Internal Communications Officer
Full time 37 hours
RG6– scp 28-31
£32,234 - £34,728
Reading Borough Council has busy and fast-paced communication, promoting a wide range of services to our residents and keeping them informed about what’s happening in Reading. A key element to the Council achieving its goals, is to engage our internal community of staff and teams, to bring them along on the journey and ensure they become ambassadors for the services that the council provides.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. It is also a Living Wage employer, because the Council believes staff deserve a wage which meets every day needs. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
About the role
Support the Council in delivering its vision and priorities by engaging staff through a portfolio of planned internal communication campaigns and effective internal communication channels, all aligned with the People Strategy, which underpins the main goals of the Council.
Main duties and responsibilities
Work to implement the Council’s internal communication and engagement strategy, including the Council’s Team Reading Programme and working closely with the HR and Organisational Development teams.
- Create and maintain an annual calendar of key internal moments and projects which need to be communicated and ensure a two-way dialogue.
- Manage and deliver internal communication campaigns, projects and events that keep
- staff and stakeholders up to date, and ensure they have the opportunity to input and feedback.
- Plan, edit, write, and design content for a variety of internal communication channels,
- such as the Council intranet, magazine or email bulletin including photography, audio, video.
- Promote the Council’s internal employer brand ‘Team Reading’.
- Handle the internal communication response to crisis situations which affect the
- perception of the organisation and its reputation.
- Provide internal communication advice to all Council departments, teams and projects.
- Ensure internal communication work is evaluated and reported against the AMEC integrated framework.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on individuals to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Good standard of general education essential.
- Professional qualifications and/or membership of a professional body desirable e.g. CIPR Diploma, Chartered Practitioner, IOIC, PRCA
- We would like to see a track record of developing and delivering internal communication projects and approaches in areas such as digital engagement, staff engagement, and behaviour change.
- Applied understanding of the full range of modern communications channels and
- techniques and how they can be evaluated.
- Excellent written communication skills to ensure appropriate content, messaging, tone and consistency in communication.
- Demonstrate digital skills such as email marketing (internally), intranet/social networking platform development and proficient use of modern tools such as MailChimp, Google Analytics, Google Data Studio etc.
- Demonstrate skills in tools such as Canva, which will assist in developing content for various channels internally.
- Previous experience in community development and community management would be desirable.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 23rd January
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.