Full time, 37 hours – Permanent
RG7m (SCP 33-39) £37,568 - £43,570
The role is a hybrid role with part work from home and part office
It’s an exciting time for our Corporate Property Services Team. Over the last year we have taken great strides to modernise our Property Department delivering a best in class service which is compliant and offers modern and inspirational property portfolios for staff and the people of Reading.
We are looking for a dynamic team member to join the Corporate Property Services Team as an Electrical Engineer, assisting to provide a professional in house building services consultancy service.
If you enjoy a fast-paced team environment with opportunities to really make a difference we need you to help us achieve our goals and aspirations.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide a professional technical consultancy service to all Client Directorates with regards to electrical services.
- To manage maintenance and installation contracts.
- Develop electrical specifications for electrical maintenance and installation contracts.
- To manage budgets and H&S compliance.
- Issue and work to JCT standard forms of contract, working with the legal and procurement team to ensure correct processes are followed.
- Manage appointed contractors and building services consultants.
- Assist with electrical condition surveys to corporate, community, commercial and schools properties for various client groups.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
We are looking for someone who has experience in the management and delivery of electrical planned maintenance activities and installation projects within commercial buildings. With an inspirational can do attitude, someone that enjoys a challenge, can make things happen, whilst never losing sight of the customer.
- City & Guilds in Electrical Installation theory, Electrical Inspection & testing, Electrical Design or equivalent
- NICIEC qualified supervisor or working towards with at least two years post qualification experience in Electrical Engineering.
- Must have demonstrable knowledge of the installation and maintenance of fire and Intruder alarms, Lifts and door entry systems.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 17th May 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Interview Process: Panel interview with questions
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.