Senior HR Advisor
RG6, SCP 28-33
£32,798 - £37,568
It’s an exciting time for our HR service, over the last 18 months we’ve taken great strides to modernise the HR services provided to our customers, introducing self-service through a state-of-the-art HR System, transforming our resourcing function, delivering a council wide leadership development programme whilst developing an organisational culture through our Team Reading values. As part of our continuing service development, we’ve created a new Senior HR Advisor post – and that means we’re looking for someone amazing to join our team.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and you’ll have the option to work on a largely remote basis within this role.
About the role
As a key team within the Council’s corporate HR service, we provide a comprehensive HR consultancy service to 30+ schools in the borough. We’ll need you to work closely with headteachers, senior Leaders, governors, and other key stakeholders, who will rely on you to provide expert ER knowledge and support.
You’ll join us on our change journey, we’re always looking to improve and provide an HR service that goes beyond the norm, making a genuine difference to all employees. We love ideas – you’ll have plenty of opportunity to get involved in projects and initiatives and put your stamp on our practice.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on everyone to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
Previous HR experience is a must, but we’re open to sector, what’s more important is a strong customer focus and the ability to build great working relationships within a diverse stakeholder group.
- Employee Relations casework experience
- Experience in developing and maintaining positive working relationships with colleagues and client users
- Experience of working with customers to identify needs and resolve issues without service disruption
- Good knowledge of legislation and best practice affecting employment including the Employment Rights Act, the Equality Act, Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations, Trade Union and Labour Relations Act, ACAS Codes of Practice etc.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 5th June
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.