Criminal Litigation and Licencing Solicitor
Full time 37 hours
RG8 - scp 39-45
The Council are looking to appoint a Solicitor/Lawyer who has relevant proven experience working within local government to deal with all aspects of the Council’s Criminal Litigation and Licencing functions in Legal Services.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You will use your experience and skill to provide advice to Members and Officers on legal matters and policies and corporate issues, ensuring the Council’s best interests are achieved within the law. This post will contribute to the successful achievement of the Council’s strategies and policies, in particular through advice and representation and undertake research as requested in relation to Criminal Litigation, including Licensing and Regulatory Prosecutions, such as Trading Standards, Environmental, Education etc.
Main duies and responsibilities
- Undertake advocacy in the relevant courts and tribunals.
- Draft legal documents and correspondence
- Advise Members at committees in a proactive and politically sensitive manner
- Provide high quality legal advice and assistance to client departments with a minimum of supervision
- Appear on behalf of the Council to conduct hearings in the Magistrates’ Court, County Court, Crown Court and Tribunals
- Provide training to officers on Licensing and other suitable subjects in order to ensure sound knowledge and the overall ability of the Council to take well informed decisions.
- We will support hybrid working
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance - striving to be even better - and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Solicitor/Barrister or Legal Executive with a minimum of two years post qualification experience, or equivalent.
- Advocacy in public meetings, tribunals, courts and other bodies.
- Licensing law and practice.
- Prosecution under S444 of the Education Act 1996 in respect of preparation of evidence and advising.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.johnson @reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 30th May
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.