We are investing in an improved Library Service to provide better opportunities for our residents.
We are always looking for better ways of doing things. How can we make the most of our digital and ICT resources and create more opportunities for Libraries to be used out of hours? Create exciting spaces that our residents want to spend time in? These are just some of the things you could be looking at when you join us. You're going to have a big impact on what we do, so you'll be trusted to take ownership of your work. There'll always be room for your ideas here and having the opportunities to learn, develop and progress.
Put simply, a career with us means having everything you need to build on your skills. To build better relationships. To build even better communities.
Because we're Bracknell Forest.
What it's like working in our team…
This is an exciting time to join Bracknell Forest Libraries as we are making plans to move to a new Central Library in the heart of the Lexicon re-development, in addition to implementing Open+ technology to extend opening hours, rather like 24-hour gyms, in Bracknell Library and across all 9 Libraries in the Borough. You will be responsible for managing a team of frontline staff, the Home Library Service and Stock and Support Services' Teams plus a team of volunteers and will be committed to offering a wide-ranging events' programme and providing an excellent service to all of our customers.
The post-holder will work 37 hours per week, based in Bracknell Library. The hours of work are approximately 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday with one hour for lunch, plus one Saturday out of three until 4pm, for which you will receive enhanced pay, in addition to having a day of in lieu during the same week.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
- To manage the performance of Bracknell Library, in terms of issues, visits and new memberships, and to seek ways of continuous improvement, including promotion and marketing of the service.
- To ensure that a varied programme of events takes place, in line with the Library and Information Service's strategic vision to broaden and deepen the range of arts and cultural activities on offer and also the Council's wider objectives to support Adults' and Children's agendas.
- Line management of the frontline staff, Home Library Service, and Stock and Support Services' team, including recruitment, selection, appraisal and performance management.
- To be responsible for the recruitment, training and management of volunteers in Bracknell Library.
- To assist the Library Services Manager with the planning of the new Bracknell Central Library, subsequent move to a new location and with the implementation of technology enabled opening in Bracknell Library and across the Borough library network and to be the main point of contact with Bibliotheca and ESS.
The benefits you will experience are…
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses.
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we're looking for…
A professionally qualified Librarian, or someone who can demonstrate considerable experience of working at a senior level in a similar frontline customer service role and who would be willing to qualify in Librarianship or Information Management within the first eighteen months of appointment, you will possess a management qualification, such ILM level 5, or a Postgraduate Diploma, and will ideally have Health and Safety qualifications, such as IOSH. You will be confident in leading a team and in engaging with customers of all ages and you will need to think creatively about how to attract new customers and to maximise income generation.
Interviews will be held on Monday 13th June 2022
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role, please contact:
Sharon Pickles, Central Services Manager, 01344 352403
As part of the Council's ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.