TEACHER OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND IT
Salary: £32,406 to £51,444
Start date: 01 September 2022
Closing date: 24 June 2022
“Education is Success”
An opportunity to work in the only non-private Academy in London that offers both International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes at KS5
Westminster Academy is an Outstanding International Business and Enterprise academy serving a multi-ethnic community in Central London. The Academy has gained national recognition for its work to improve outcomes for students, and its aspirational and inclusive mission and ethos. Our longstanding 1:1 device programme allows WA to thrive as both an onsite and remote learning environment. As a member of the collaborative WA community you will have the opportunity to shape the future of the Academy whilst working alongside an exceptionally talented group of colleagues who are committed to continued professional growth and improvement of the student experience.
Our Maths Department
Computer Science is a part of our Maths department, which has transformed student outcomes and succeeded in inspiring a love of learning at Westminster Academy through the dedication of staff, their exceptional subject knowledge and the department’s forward-thinking approach to data and the curriculum. The Maths department is highly regarded among our student body for the care and personal support offered to students. We are now looking for an innovative teacher to join this successful team as a Computer Science teacher.
Our Computer Science Curriculum and Pedagogy
In Key Stage 3 we teach Computing, which is the study of Computer Science with Information Technology seamlessly entwined. We have invested in the Replit resource “Teams for Education” to live track students’ coding. All students receive a chromebook from Year 7 which allows for exciting, dynamic teaching that takes students on a journey through a computing curriculum that follows national curriculum guidelines and means that by the time they are choosing their options for GCSEs, they are well informed on what it means to take a Computer Science or an IT course for further study.
In Key Stage 4 we currently offer GCSE Computer Science alongside the Level 2 BTEC Tech Award in Digital Information Technology. Computer Science and Digital IT are extremely popular subjects within the school with an outstanding track record of success. The department is well resourced and the curriculum is continually being developed to further enhance the delivery of the subject.
Our central location enables the faculty to access an extensive network of contacts which enables real opportunities for students to find engaging opportunities in the world of IT and enterprise. Examples of this include our Year 8s taking part in the AWS Get IT programme run by Amazon and the school's Computing club where students can explore their creativity through coding, Scratch projects, logic puzzles, riddles and more.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An excellent, dynamic classroom teacher who is committed to the success of each individual student
- Someone who has a confident understanding of the curriculum and the ability to inspire students through their passion and knowledge for Computer Science and IT to drive standards forward
- Experienced in teaching the relevant subject(s) with a relevant university degree
- Able to demonstrate an ongoing commitment to their own professional growth and development
- Willing to contribute to extra-curricular activities
What we offer:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Sign up incentives available for experienced IB educators
- An excellent programme of continuing professional development
- Relevant training with the International Baccalaureate for teachers of Key Stage 5
- A commitment to staff well being, including access to the local gym, weekly fitness sessions, staff social events, Perkbox membership with associated benefits.
How to apply:
For further details and an application form, please click here: Vacancies
Please send your completed application forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We may interview candidates ahead of the closing date so early application is advised. The Academy reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the advertising closing date. The advert may be closed at any time.
We are committed to safeguarding children and promoting their welfare. We expect all staff to share this commitment. The post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.