Multi Skilled Painter & Decorator. £27,153 - £33,486
Reading Borough Council has an ongoing programme of maintenance to ensure our housing stock meets the required high standard. Due to an increase in work for both internal and external clients Property Services are looking to recruit multi skilled Painter and Decorator to work primarily on the Voids Team.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
- Primarily to carry out repairs, in a safe and effective manner using schedule of rates and working to the Councils Pay and Productivity scheme.
- Carry out other major works on planned programmes or one-off jobs or void properties using schedule of rates, and working to the Councils Pay and Productivity scheme.
- To assess the materials needed and either obtain from the main stores or obtain official orders for purchase direct from appropriate supplier, making sure that receipts, goods received notes and other paperwork is obtained and passed to your supervisor daily.
- Seek approval, prior to commencement of work, if the repairs needed exceed the work specified on the order.
Most of the work will be undertaken in void properties, and some occupied properties, care must always be exercised to avoid damage to occupants’ property. All tenants and other customers to be always treated with courtesy and respect.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- We are looking for a trade operative that is skilled, highly motivated and keen to work in a fast moving and constantly evolving Public Sector.
- You will need to be a good communicator.
- Hold a City and Guilds or NVQ in Painting and Decorating with demonstratable experience of a range of associated skills including minor repairs and maintenance.
- Other basic skills and be able to demonstrate relevant experience within the construction industry.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at Bennet Road
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 26th June
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.