Our team manages a significant portfolio of residential property, and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We’re working hard to improve disadvantaged areas and enhance people’s lives across the Borough, including a carbon neutral strategy.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the reacruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
We support hybrid working arrangements and would envisage this role being delivered through a mix of remote and on-site working
About the role
This job itself offers real variety and involvement in a wide range of exciting projects.
Your day-to-day work could vary from working with our team on a Zero Carbon strategy to our existing housing stock utilising ASHP and MVHR systems, to project managing replacement heating programs. You may be working with our Sheltered Housing team to look at their lift replacement program or advising on M&E systems within our newbuild program. The work is varied and challenging.
Works include full contract and project management of a portfolio of projects as well as the day to day fault finding and advice to clients.
We need you to be a good communicator with experience of team management. You will need a proven background in mechanical engineering, construction, and project management, with experience of dealing with Gas .
- Gas Safe or similar qualification
- A recognised Mechanical Engineering qualification
- Recognised Qualification in control and prevention of legionella
- Good understanding of building services.
- Working knowledge of procurement legislation and procurement methodology.
- Understanding of Standard forms of contract, how they are applied and used from a client perspective on construction projects.
- Structured and logical approach to fiscal contract management.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities, including hybrid working from home /office arrangement.
- Modern working environment at the Bennet Road Offices in Reading.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) which has pre-tax employer contributions of 14.8% plus £6342 pa.
- Day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car. The monthly fee includes insurance, tyres, servicing and road tax.
Closing Date: 27th June 2022
Interview Date: Wc 4th or 11th July