Full time 37 hours
RG8, scp 39-45
Would you enjoy working as part of a busy, friendly and well-respected Legal Team? The Joint Legal Team, based in the Civic Offices in Reading, provides a legal service to the six Children Services Department in the Berkshire unitary authorities.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Based within the Joint Legal Team (JLT) you will work closely with a small team of experienced lawyers and support staff to undertake the Children’s public law work for one or two of the JLT client authorities.
This role offers you a great chance to grow and develop your practice in a Team that provides you with the following:
- To work in a friendly and supportive environment where you will be supervised by your Team Leader.
- Work will be assigned to you depending on your level of experience but always with the view to furthering your learning and development.
- To work with the other JLT team members to have a complete JLT experience.
- The opportunity to receive mentoring from a senior member of the Team to develop your practice
- To be regularly updated on developments in law and practice at a national and local level.
- To be part of a Team that supports learning and development.
- A structure that provides close support to all Team members during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
- We will be supporting hybrid working
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We are seeking to recruit applicants who will commit to the continued success of the team and to the high standard of service which we provide to our clients. Successful candidates will be rewarded with an interesting and varied workload in a friendly and supportive working environment.
Requirements for this role:
- We require an admitted Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives.
- Relevant experience as a childcare specialist in local government or private practice and have an excellent working knowledge of key child care legislation.
- A real commitment to this area of work.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 21st Aug
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.