Application Support Engineer x 2
Full time 37 hours
RG7 – scp 33-39 gateway at scp 36
£37,568 - £43,570
We’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of our organisation.
Central to this is the ability for us to work smart, that means embracing the latest technology and working practices. Effective IT is a big part of the answer and drives every conversation we have, and decision we make.
The investment we’re making in our IT service means that we’re looking to strengthen our team with additional Application Support Engineers, who we need to support the organisation to work effectively and help drive transformational change.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and within this role you’ll have the opportunity to work in a way that suits your lifestyle.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
We’ll need you to support organisational change, particularly as we move from legacy file services to SharePoint and other Office 365 products. You’ll have a key role in projects spanning the entire organisation, promoting new solutions, supporting colleagues, and making a real contribution to our success.
- Resolving second-line application support issues
- Identifying recurring and/or related patterns of incident/request and take appropriate action to mitigate
- Ensuring correct tooling and access to technical information
- Support users during the deployment of new applications and changes
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We’re looking for people with inquisitive mindsets who like to problem solve using a strong base of technical know-how. You’ll be dealing with colleagues from across the organisation so a strong customer focus will really help you to make an impact.
The following will help you to hit the ground running:
- Relational Database Management System experience, including Oracle and SQL
- An understanding of applications support within a large, diverse organisation
- The aptitude and desire to continually develop your skills and knowledge
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 7th August
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.