Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional planning and Building Control super service. These role sits within our Building Control Team.
We are seeking to appoint a Building Control Officer within our growing Building Control Team. You will enjoy the support of a small professional team and be given the autonomy and responsibility to make your mark in a growing and successful company
Our building control surveyors carry out the full range of building control duties, with career pathways to progress within the company.
You'll be managing a range of interesting projects from small domestic extensions to minor commercial developments liaising with clients, design teams, architects and builders. You will provide professional support to them acting as the compliance lead whilst ensuring that value is added, for our customers, at each stage of the build process.
This role will allow you to develop your professional skills within a supportive team, with the potential for career advancement. Training and support will be given for engineers with less experience as well as for experienced industry professionals looking to move into a public service role as a specialist within building control.
Key responsibilities for all roles will be (but are not limited to):
- Application and enforcement of Building Regulations by the scrutiny of deposited plans and the inspection of building work.
- Receipting, validation and progression of all Building Control applications.
- Negotiating and corresponding with applicants and agents.
- Collecting, recording and giving evidence in support of enforcement proceedings.
- Liaising with statutory and public authorities.
Making site inspections and negotiate with applicants/agents and officers of other services and authorities including dangerous structures.
- Compiling reports and maintaining working records and files to exemplary standards
- To undertake any other duties as required, consistent with the basic objectives and responsibilities of the post. To provide technical and procedural advice and problem-solving to the public on site, in meetings, by phone or correspondence in circumstances that can be confrontational and would require an immediate response.
KEY SKILLS and OUTCOMES
Ideally, we are looking for an individual who:
- Is an enthusiastic, flexible, forward thinking, ambitious and customer focussed surveyor with relevant Building Control knowledge and experience of dealing with Building Regulation applications at plan examination and site inspection stages
- Able to work successfully in teams
- Creative and innovative in solving complex problems
- Able to think and work proactively, “self-start” and work autonomously with the minimum of direct supervision
- Scrupulous attention to detail, particularly with regard to technical aspects of operational processes and practices, accuracy of records and reports, efficiency and accuracy around schedule and diary management
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
£33,822.67 - £50,734.00 (Starting salary dependent on experience) + benefits and 30 days annual leave entitlement + Professional fees paid
Be First will review applications as received and reserves the right to end its recruitment to this role prior to the 8th August 2022 where an exceptional candidate presents themselves.