Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the Borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional super service. This role will lead our Building Control Team.
We are seeking to appoint a Head of Building Control who will lead a small professional team and be given the autonomy and responsibility to make your mark in a growing and successful company. You will contribute towards the implementation of a Building Control super-service that is result-orientated, commercially astute, customer-focused and an ethos of ‘right first time’ service delivery.
Our building control surveyors team carry out a full range of building control duties, with career pathways for surveyors to progress within the company.
In addition to the day-to-day management of the team (50%), you will be expected to maintain a caseload on major development projects liaising with clients, design teams, architects and builders (50%). You will support the team acting as the compliance lead whilst ensuring that value is added for our customers at each stage of the build process. You will also manage and ensure appropriate coverage is in place to meet service requirements for Out of Hours Dangerous Structures.
This role will allow you to develop your professional skills within a supportive team, with the potential for career advancement. Training and support will be given for those with less experience as well as for experienced industry professionals looking to move into a public service role as a specialist within Building Control.
Ideally, we are looking for an individual who is:
- An enthusiastic, flexible, forward thinking, ambitious and customer focussed surveyor with relevant Building Control knowledge and experience of dealing with Building Regulation applications at plan examination and site inspection stages
- Able to successfully lead teams
- Creative and innovative in solving complex problems
- Able to think and work proactively, “self-start” and work autonomously with the minimum of direct supervision
- Can effectively horizon scan with an ability to ensure the technical approach aligns with changing government guidance.
- Scrupulous attention to detail, particularly with regard to technical aspects of operational processes and practices, accuracy of records and reports, efficiency and accuracy around schedule and diary management.
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
Indicative salary of £75,000 - £80,000 + benefits and 30 days annual leave entitlement + Professional fees paid
Be First will review applications as received and reserves the right to end its recruitment to this role prior to the 8th August 2022 where an exceptional candidate presents themselves.