During this exciting period of rapid growth, we now require additional staff to join our team! We are a bespoke independent special school based in Chester city centre and we encourage suitably qualified individuals with a passion for SEND who align with our values and vision to contact us.
We believe that education is the key to a better life, and that all children and young people are entitled to an effective education that enables them to achieve their full potential, regardless of the degree of special educational need or disability. Together, we are unlocking potential and enhancing the lives of children and young people with special educational needs.
About the School
Abbey School for Exceptional Children is an independent special school based in Chester for children and young persons aged 4-19 years with autism whom may have additional learning difficulties and behaviours that challenge families and services.
Our school is expanding- our pupil cohort is increasing, and our staff teams are growing to support our new pupils who are due to start with us. We are currently seeking to appoint enthusiastic, proactive, and hard-working Learning Mentors who are committed to improving outcomes for children and young people with SEN and/or disability and their families.
We have high staffing ratios at Abbey School - every pupil has at least 1:1 support, and so you will be part of a large team. Our class sizes are small, and we design a highly personalised curriculum which aims to help pupils to become successful lifelong learners, effective communicators, and confident and responsible individuals who play an active part in society.
Our Learning Mentors support our pupils throughout the school day, working with the class teacher, behaviour analysts, speech and language therapist, and occupational therapist to provide the best level of support for our pupils.
Our staff are our most valuable resource in ensuring that pupils reach their best possible outcomes and as such we prioritise investment in professional development. All staff receive regular training and supervision to ensure that they have the understanding, skills and knowledge to support our pupils effectively.
About the post
This is a permanent, full-time post (term-time only), and we are seeking to appoint as soon as possible.
The post holder will:
- Work as part of a class team, under the direction of the class teacher and trans-disciplinary colleagues, to deliver effective and appropriate teaching, learning and behaviour support in all areas of school life underpinned by an evidence-based behavioural model of practice.
- Create a positive learning environment, reflective of the school’s culture and ethos as set out in its curriculum purpose statement.
- Work with pupils both individually and in small groups supporting them to overcome barriers to learning, delivering teaching, providing positive behaviour support and delivering other focused interventions.
- Act as the key worker for one pupil, taking responsibility for coordinating their resources, monitoring their daily data, and advocating for them within team meetings
- Uphold Abbey School policies to protect and safeguard pupils and vulnerable adults in order to secure their health, safety and well-being.
For further information please download our recruitment pack below which contains details of the job description and person specification.
Why work for us?
We are a supportive learning organisation with a strong commitment to staff development and well-being. As a member of our team you will be engaged in innovation and discovery. A comprehensive training package will be provided for all staff.
- Paid holidays - Learning Mentors are not required to work when the school is closed over half terms, Easter, Christmas, and summer holidays - the annual salary is split between 12 months and paid monthly.
- Competitive salary
- Suite of staff benefits including pension scheme
- Technology appropriate for your job
- Comprehensive staff training programme
- Access to WeCare which is a 24/7 online GP, mental health support service, get fit programme and much more.
- Access to MediCash program for wellbeing benefits
- The opportunity to shape and improve the life chances of pupils with a disability, and in so doing, extend the prospect of an improved quality of life for family members and others
For further information please visit https://www.abbeyschool.com/learning-mentor/