Public Protection Partnership PPP is a shared environmental heath, licensing and trading standards service for Bracknell Forest and West Berkshire in Berkshire.
The priority of housing is very high on the agenda within PPP and in the respective Councils. To this end funding has been released to increase the team by 2 posts, so that we can continue the great work we do and expand on other work areas. One of these posts is as an Environmental Control Officer or Senior ECO (Dependant on experience of the successful candadate).
Essentially the team will be dealing with HMO and Housing and Caravan site related inspections, enforcement and reactive work across the two areas to support people into excellent housing. We currently have several hundred HMOs registered and over 100 caravan sites. We are also very involved with the Levelling Up agenda and Commercial to Residential Conversions.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspections of private sector properties, responding to tenant complaints, drawing up schedules of condition & disrepair.
- Inspection of HMOs in line with current legislation
- Inspection of caravan site – both licenced and unlicensed
- Assessing properties in accordance with Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Preparation and execution of enforcement notices.
- Inspection as part of Commercial to Residential conversions
Qualification and Experience
Relevant qualification or experience for Senior/Environmental Control Officer (Housing).
Successful completion of a recognised two-day HHSRS assessors training course. Completion of a recognised Housing Enforcement training course would be desirable
You must also have recent suitable experience of:
- Inspection and enforcement in private sector housing.
- Surveying Houses in multiple occupation and drafting schedules of work.
- Investigating complaints and dealing with enquiries in relation to the Housing Act 2004.
- Undertaking enforcement action under the HHSRS of the Housing Act 2004.
- Processing and assessing the suitability of HMO licence applications.
- Powers under the Housing and Planning Act 2016.
- Understanding enforcement action under the Caravan Sites Control of Development Act 1960 and the Mobile Homes Act 2013 and associated Acts, Legislation and guidance
- Advising senior managers, managers, employees and service users in particular on housing legislation and interpreting legislation.
- Working with computers and an understanding of information technology.
What PPP offers
We offer a unique and dynamic working environment across Boroughs. The work and structure of PPP is based on the National Intelligence Model and we operate under a number of multidisciplinary functional areas to achieve the approved priorities. This means there are plenty of exciting opportunities to experience a wide range of cases and projects. In addition there is the variety of work that comes with operating across Boroughs.
You will benefit from a commitment to your professional and personal development, a generous leave entitlement, the opportunity to work flexibly. In return we expect you to be have an eye for detail and be comfortable working under pressure, be organised, flexible and enthusiastic, with good communication skills and able to work on your own initiative.
The post offers a free working environment across the PPP areas and will be based in Theale, West Berkshire or Bracknell.
West Berkshire Council offer excellent employment benefits such as flexible working, access to a wide range of relevant training, local government pension scheme, family friendly policies, a range of local discounts and much more. You will also be entitled to a generous annual leave entitlement of 28 days per annum rising to a maximum of 33 days.
For an informal chat please contact Rosalynd Gater (Strategic Manager) on 01635 519098; or Mary Glomé (Principal EHO Lead Officer Housing) on 01635 519932.