Team: Planning Delivery
Job Family: Enabling - CBG12
Salary: £38,780 - £43,732 per annum + Market Rate Supplement £3,000 per annum
Hours: Full-time, 37 hours per week
Base Location: Working from home and any CBC offices, including Priory House, Shefford. You will be expected to attend a CBC office location on a monthly basis, and as needed to carry out your role
Contract Type: Hybrid - Permanent
Closing Date: 31st August 2022
Interview Date: tbc
Central Bedfordshire is an ambitious authority, determined to be an exemplary one. Our strategic location and high quality of life mean we are one of the fastest growing areas in the country.
As a council we face the same challenges every business does - investing in the right places and delivering great results. Except for us, it’s all about our 289,000 residents. We’re totally focussed on helping to improve their lives and making Central Bedfordshire a great place to live and work.
This is a great time to join us on our journey.
More about the role:
There’s more than one reason why we believe Central Bedfordshire is a great place to live and work. Our attractive market towns and beautiful villages surrounded by stunning countryside, all boosted by a prime location, great transport links and a high performing economy are all part of what makes us great.
In our Planning Delivery team, we work hard to enable Central Bedfordshire to grow and thrive in a sustainable way. We want to make our area a great place to live and work, and somewhere companies choose to invest.
As a Senior Planning Officer, you will play a big part in achieving this vision. With businesses and communities depending on your skills, you will find your greatness using your professional expertise in leading minor and major projects and assisting colleagues to deliver strategic planning projects to achieve high quality developments.
You will be responsible for giving definitive advice for the Council. It’s a varied, challenging role where you’ll be responsible for minor, major and complex planning applications including residential and commercial developments.
You’ll work across the full range of Planning disciplines and with everyone from Councillors to developers looking to you for specialist guidance, it’s vital that you understand and uphold best practice.
You will ideally have a degree (or equivalent qualification or experience) in Town Planning, be a member of the Royal Town Planning institute and have planning experience working on minor and major planning applications in a local authority.
With good political and commercial awareness, and strong communication skills, you will have a gift for influencing others and leading partnerships and be committed to evidence-based decision making.
What we can offer you:
As well as joining a friendly, dedicated, and hardworking team you will have access to numerous benefits, including:
- Hybrid working arrangements as appropriate. We recognise the importance of supporting our employees to balance their home and work life and to be able to work in the most efficient way. As a hybrid worker you will be able to work from home with access to any CBC location.
- A £250 one off hybrid worker payment, helping you achieve a safe and suitable work space at home
- Support to work from abroad for up to a month a year where appropriate
- RTPI subscription fees paid annually
- Generous family friendly policies and practices
- A supportive and inclusive environment that values and celebrates differences
- Staff network and support groups
- Annual leave allowance 24 days + statutory holidays rising to 31 days with length of service.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). This is a valuable part of our rewards package for employees and includes Life Assurance: click here
- An Employee Assistance Programme offering support to all employees through workplace changes as well as other work, family and personal issues
- Training and Learning offer – we have access to hundreds of courses and role specific training is also available
- Access to discounts from local and national retailers
Central Bedfordshire Council has its own vision and values that are integral to everything we do. Our area vision is to make Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’.
Our aspiration is to be a truly flexible employer. We welcome discussion on location, hours and working pattern as part of the application process.
To apply for this role, you will be expected to demonstrate how you meet the key accountabilities and competencies detailed within this Recruitment Pack: Senior Planning Officer Recruitment Pack
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact: Martin Plummer, Planning Manager at email@example.com or on 0300 300 6589
For queries related to the recruitment of this vacancy, please contact: The Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to improving the diversity of our workforce to better reflect the communities we serve. Therefore we welcome applications from everyone. In addition we are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider applications made via our online application system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your application offline.
If you require assistance to apply for our roles, help with writing your CV, interview techniques or careers advice please contact our team of careers advisors at email@example.com Our service is confidential, impartial and free for all.