Senior Commissioning Specialist for Adult Services Prevention and Integration
Wokingham is an attractive market town in Berkshire with excellent road and rail links, from surrounding areas and can be easily acceptable from London. The Borough also has good schools and low levels of crime. The town is attractive to families and residents who enjoy a high quality of life.
One of the key strengths of Wokingham Borough is its rich and vibrant Voluntary and Community Sector. For many years it has provided outstanding service to our residents and in particular improved the lives of many vulnerable residents. Investing in the right community support is a key part of the Council’s plan to improve the quality of life enjoyed by different members of our communities. The sector plays a significant economic role in the borough, accessing external funding and providing paid employment, but also harnessing a wealth of time, skills and resources from local people and organisations to benefit the community. The sector contributes to the wellbeing of the borough; connecting communities, stimulating innovation and flexibility to make a positive difference to people’s lives.
As a senior member of the Strategy and Commissioning Team, you will be required to draw upon your knowledge of prevention and voluntary sector provision to lead the commissioning of a programme of evidence-based prevention and wellbeing services. Working in partnership with service users, voluntary sector organisations, health services and colleagues in public health, you will help deliver our Voluntary Sector Strategy and shape preventative services to improve outcomes for Wokingham residents.
Key Duties, Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Ensure that a sufficiently diverse range of services are available that prevent, delay or reduce the need for statutory care and support
- Provide specialist management, guidance and advice related to the strategic management of these services:
- Maintaining an effective and robust relationship with providers
- Directing the market to meet the strategic priorities of the council and the projected needs of residents
- Oversight of the quality of the services offered by providers in order to ensure continuous improvement
- Using market intelligence to maintain oversight of the long term sustainability of markets and market providers
- Managing and maintaining an excellent framework for commissioning practice including:
- The delivery of high quality planning, commissioning, performance management and improvement processes to drive change, innovation and excellence in social care commissioning in line with national and local priorities
- Partnership with social care operational managers, peer commissioners and managers (including health) to secure data, intelligence and evidence to inform commissioning processes
- Management of all aspects of tenders and procurements within the category, ensuring that all procurement activity complies with the council’s Standing Orders
- Contract and performance management of commissioned services within the category for the council
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Substantial experience in managing commissioning activities overseeing all elements of the commissioning cycle
- Robust knowledge and experience of Adult social care and health services with understanding of the issues for local authorities and service users, working in a political environment
- Good knowledge and experience of prevention services including the voluntary and community sector.
- Excellent working knowledge of the political landscape, legislative frameworks, and regional and national drivers surrounding supporting people to remain independent, living a good life in their own home and community
- Experience of identifying, developing and delivering opportunities for improving services for vulnerable people
- Degree level or equivalent relevant professional qualifications in public sector procurement and commissioning.
Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to join an excellent dynamic Strategy and Commissioning Team.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. WBC is an equal opportunities employer.
For more information contact Jenny Lamprell, Category Manager, Adult Services firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please follow the link to the online Application Form. CV’s are not accepted.
Closing date for applications: 11pm, 11th August 2022
Interview date Monday 12th September 2022