Memorial Mason / Fixer
Full time 37 hours
RG5b – scp 22-25
£27,514 - £30,095
Henley Road Cemetery & Crematorium Office
We are looking for a with the ability for inspect and fix gravestones and who will play an important part in helping customers and keeping the cemeteries as safe places to visit and work in. You will report to the Bereavement Service Operation Manager and have responsibilities which include enforcement of the regulations, inspecting, and maintaining memorials, and helping with ground maintenance. You will be responsible for the day-to-day activities in memorial safety resolving any problems that may occur and carry out administrative and customer facing duties as required of this position.
About the role
You will provide Memorial Fixer services primarily at Reading’s Henley Road Cemetery and Crematorium, as well as 2 other cemeteries owned by Reading Borough Council and 5 closed churchyards under the responsibility of Reading Borough Council.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Carry out inspections of gravestones in relation to Health & Safety compliance and make them safe in accordance with the Council’s memorial management policies.
- Document and record all graves tested, with clear guidance on failed memorials and action required.
- Clean the surface of marble/stone structures.
- Undertake maintenance on graves within the cemeteries and churchyards both generally and as part of any grave maintenance package.
- Fix memorial plaques within the gardens of Remembrance, centre square and Hall of Memory.
- We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
Willingness to complete training as required
- Manual Handling Qualification or similar would be an advantage
- Full Clean Driving Licence
- The ability to read and understand basic technical drawings
- Keen to acquire a good understanding of the memorial mason British guidelines and national standards
- A willingness to work within the Funeral Industry of other similar sensitive service preferred
- Dealing with the public face-to-face and over the telephone,
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 12th Oct
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.