Deputy Head of Area Regeneration – Walthamstow
Grade PO8 – maternity cover 1 year
- There has never been a more exciting and challenging time to work for Waltham Forest Council and with its diverse community and partners to make an impact on the future of the borough.
- Waltham Forest Council is at the forefront of regeneration in London, with an ambitious programme of housing, workspace, health, education, culture, leisure and transport infrastructure and public realm improvements being delivered across the borough.
- The Covid 19 pandemic and its impact has made us all review the ways we live and work, embracing technology and becoming more flexible, diverse and sustainable.
- In response to the pandemic, the Council’s emerging Public Service Corporate Strategy focuses on these immediate priorities:
- Our 15-minute neighbourhood
- Connecting people with jobs
- Safe and healthy lives
- Confidence in our future
The Deputy Head of Area Regeneration role will be instrumental in delivering on these corporate priorities in the borough’s major town centre, Walthamstow.
The Area Regeneration Team
- The work of our team focuses on our industrial areas and high streets, building on and enhancing their physical, social and economic assets and the skills and knowledge of local people.
- Success in the role will depend on collaborative working across the Council and with its partners to add value and deliver projects and initiatives which make our borough a better place to live, work and play.
- The Council is implementing its 15 minute neighbourhood objective to deliver long-term transformative plans for our places and people and address the Climate Emergency.
- Working with residents, businesses and stakeholders we are demonstrating that Waltham Forest is open for business.
- We are taking the opportunity to re-imagine the role and function of our places to ensure they attract investment, deliver high-quality housing, employment and infrastructure and are fit to meet the future needs of our residents and businesses.
The role - Deputy Head of Area Regeneration – Walthamstow
- We are looking for a leader with vision who can inspire a team and has the skills and experience to bring forward area-based regeneration on an ambitious scale in Walthamstow, working closely with the Directorate's Senior Team and Portfolio Lead Members
- The successful candidate will need to manage the Council’s complex interrelated roles, interests, external partnerships, engagement and workstreams for delivering major regeneration schemes at Walthamstow Central and St James Quarter, contributing to the economic recovery and growth of the borough’s largest town centre.
The focus for the role is to work with the Director and Head of Area Regeneration, as well as cross-Council and external partnership teams to enable the delivery of the:
- £200m regeneration of The Mall to deliver 538 new homes, 5,000 sq m commercial space, a new Town Square and facilitation of a new entrance to Walthamstow Central Station, first stage of construction works has started on site.
- Development of the business case and, where necessary, significant external funding bids to secure Council and third-party capital investment in the delivery of The Mall/Walthamstow Central scheme
- Delivering a short and medium-term programme of public realm improvements, enhancing, promoting and celebrating the arrival in the town centre from the transport interchange to key destination points, including Soho Theatre Walthamstow (former EMD Cinema) which will re-open as a 1,000 seat cultural venue in 2023, as well as the High Street, Market, Mall and rejuvenated Town Hall Campus (Fellowship Square).
- Implementation of a longer-term One-Public Estate Development Framework for transforming Walthamstow Central Station interchange, including underground, overground, bus stations, public realm and opportunities for over station development and other sites in public ownership, working with Transport for London and Network Rail.
- The development and delivery strategy for remaining phases of mixed-use development at St James Quarter delivering 300+ new homes, workspace and commercial uses alongside public realm and overground station improvements across a range of Council and private land ownerships
- Integration of these major development areas into Walthamstow Town Centre, including in terms of construction phasing and logistics, detailed design development and public realm interfaces, stakeholder engagement and management, and securing both shorter-term High Street activation and vitality and longer-term economic growth of the town centre.
- Work with the Head of Area Regeneration (Town Centres), other Deputy Heads of Regeneration, as well as colleagues from Business Growth, Property, Capital Delivery, Culture, Planning and Resident Services, to maximise wider regeneration and economic growth opportunities in Walthamstow.
- The cultural activation, business space and public realm opportunities along the Hoe Street Corridor, from Fellowship Square to Chestnuts House, including Soho Theatre Walthamstow, Central Parade and Juniper House
- Provide line management for Area Regeneration Project Managers, Officers and Apprentices as appropriate.
Please have a look at Regeneration and Economic Growth Projects for an overview of our current projects.
The attached Role Profile (PO8 grade) gives an outline of what the role will need to deliver. We look forward to receiving your application.
To apply for the role please complete the application via Jobs Go Public setting out how you can meet the Job Specific Accountabilities in the role profile.
Application closing date: Tuesday 4th October 2022, noon
Anticipated interview dates: during week beginning 10th October 2022
If you would like more information or an informal conversation, please don’t hesitate to contact:
07816 978 445