Contracts and Monitoring Officer, Housing Needs
Full time 37 hours
RG7 – SCP 33-36
£37,568 - £40,578
It’s an exciting time in Reading’s Housing Needs Service. We are currently undertaking a project to modernise our services for which we have big ambition to provide innovative and creative solutions to housing need, in the context of a customer focused and person-centred culture.
Central to this is having the right people supporting the delivery of our ambitious and award-winning services. We are looking to strengthen our team with several key new roles which we need to support the service to drive transformational change.
The Housing Needs Service sits within the Housing and Communities Team, where we are all passionate about the people who live in our town. Our broader vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You will lead on the management of procurement projects across Housing Needs to commission the delivery of high-quality services to vulnerable people, who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, as well as improving performance and efficiency within the service.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Contract monitoring for all Housing Needs commissioned services, working with commissioned organisations and varied stakeholders
- Research funding opportunities that are relevant to gaps in provision, lead on the development of bids and coordinate data
- Support the Housing service with commissioning projects, working with procurement teams and the purchasing service
- Monitor KPI submissions and value for money for services, analysing trends and highlighting areas of concern
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You will be a key player in the design and commission of services for customers in housing need and in ensuring their ongoing quality in delivery. We’re looking for people with inquisitive mindsets, who are solution focussed and who bring a firm base of housing, or customer focused, experience. You will bring your own ideas to recommend and support positive change, be innovative and passionate about delivering services to those most in need.
Using your procurement and/or project management background and experience in working with a breadth of partners, you will be instrumental in supporting the service to commission and contract manage in a way that focuses upon excellent outcomes for our customers. You will be liaising with colleagues across housing needs and organisation as a whole, so strong communication skills and a collaborative mindset will be crucial.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Educated to A level or equivalent
- Contract management, procurement, or project management
- Managing projects with a diverse range of stakeholders, with a focus on housing
- Able to analyse complex information to draw conclusions for change or service development
- Strong communications skills including a good level of influencing, negotiation, and collaboration
- An understanding of value for money frameworks and develop action plans to identify cost effective solutions
- Knowledge of research and consultation methods and how to apply them
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 28th September
Interview Date: w/c 10th October
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.