Peabody is recruiting a Environmental Caretaker to clean communal (internal and external) areas including; estate roads, grassed and paved areas, courtyard/garage/forecourt/shed areas, washing line enclosures, service roads, footpaths, walkways, playgrounds, flower beds, shrubbery and other communal parts as directed using appropriate supplied equipment.
The successful candidate will be required to be for courteous, efficient customer service conduct at all times. Previous experience as caretaker is essential. IT skills are required to undertake communication and online training. They will be required to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Some write simple correspondence. You will be able to manage time effectively. Be eager with the capacity and willingness to receive training in the use of special equipment, materials and chemicals. Proven working knowledge of the use of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), along with working knowledge of health and safety legislation
• Cleans communal internal* and external areas in line with agreed schedule, targets and priorities.
• *Includes nurseries, TA Halls, community centres etc. (to certain estates)
• Removes refuse bags and household items from hopper head areas, outside refuse chambers and other communal areas.
• Cleans overspill from refuse collection
• Changes paladin bins under refuse chute as necessary
• Cleans estate signs and low-level light bollards as necessary
• Clears blocked rubbish chutes
• Cleans internal & external glass (where accessible)
• Removes graffiti
• Removes and store (as appropriate) bulk rubbish in designated area
• Where necessary, makes safe broken windows/doors etc, pending repair by Maintenance staff
• Clears gutters, drain covers, hopper heads
• Where appropriate, unblocks drains, including kitchen drains (external to properties)
• Reports any estate defects, fly-tipping or anti-social behaviour to the appropriate authorities
• Checks communal lighting/timers and reports blown bulbs as necessary, (including office light bulbs) and emergency testing done monthly
• Playareas inspected and recorded weekly
• Secures estate gates and doors where appropriate
• Where Fire Brigade keys are not fitted, assist contractors etc. with access to intake cupboards
• Advises Team Manager/Supervisor of equipment to be ordered
• Ensures stores and equipment are secure and accounted for.
• Delivers Trust letters, circulars etc as appropriate to residents’ properties
• Actively engages and participates in regular scheduled one 2 one meetings with Team Manager/Supervisor.
You will be able to manage your time effectively and will be required to use mobile technology as part of the role. Able to communicate effectively verbally, in writing and electronically.
You will have:
• The ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write simple correspondence.
• Experience in using mobile technology
• The capacity and willingness to receive training face to face and on line in the use of special equipment, materials and chemicals
• Have experience of dealing with the public
• Have experience of providing professional and accountable cleaning and caretaking services.
• Knowledge of the use of chemicals (COSHH)
• Knowledge of health and safety legislation
At Peabody, where possible, we provide flexible working opportunities from day one to our employees, as we recognise the importance of a good work-life balance; and to improve our productivity and performance, we embrace agile working, which means if you are in a desk based role, that will be a hybrid of office and home working. If your role is in a client facing environment, appropriate base location will apply.
Our mission is to help people make the most of their lives and an important part of this is to ensure that our organisation reflects the wider communities we serve. We want to attract recruit and retain a diverse, inclusive and creative workforce to give us the best opportunity to meet the diverse needs of our residents and customers. We actively encourage applications from all groups and communities, as well as from BAME, LGBTQ+ and disabled people.