The starting salary for this role is £46,634 per annum based on a 36 hour working week, with a Lawyers Career Scheme providing the opportunity to progress to £52,625.
Are you looking for a new opportunity to develop your career in property law?
Are you as committed as we are to working as part of a supportive, successful and Lexcel accredited in-house legal team that delivers timely, clear and effective legal advice, representation and assistance to the Council?
Are you looking to work in an agile organisation that focusses on outcomes?
If so, an exciting opportunity has arisen within our Property team for a qualified Lawyer.
The Legal Property Team is responsible for supporting and advising the Council on an array of property related matters ranging from Landlord and Tenant work, major projects and strategic advice. We also deal with specialist areas such as Town and Village Greens and Commons. We can guarantee exposure to a breadth of work, so you never stop learning and developing your expertise!
We are looking for a flexible, motivated and ambitious property Lawyer with experience of commercial property work to join our progressive service. As a Lawyer in the Council’s Legal Property team, you will have an unrivalled opportunity to contribute to the delivery of first-class legal services.
To apply for this role, you will need to have solid experience of dealing with commercial property matters (with limited supervision) including, but not limited to, landlord and tenant advice, transactions such as leases, licences, easements as well as a range of other property related matters including title advice, due diligence, easements, first registrations and transfers of land.
Your CV and personal statement should clearly demonstrate that you have good experience in the relevant areas of law and the following skills and abilities:
Experience of dealing with:
- Commons and Town and Village Greens
- Schools advice /academy conversions
- Deferred Payment Agreements and trusts
- Providing advice and dealing with commercial property transactions including leases, licences, easements, disposals, and acquisitions
- Flexibility to prioritise workloads and provide commercial and solution focussed advice
- A willingness to develop in new areas of work
- A team player who supports colleagues and the work of the team
- Willing to assist with the supervision of junior members of the team where required
- Ability to proactively manage your own caseload with minimal supervision
- Manage competing priorities to achieve client or statutory deadlines
- Ability to lead and represent Legal Services at client meetings
- Exemplary client care and organisational skills
The team is supportive and knowledgeable and there is a commitment to development and training of our in-house talent.
Our Legal Services department is Lexcel accredited.
Our administrative base is in Reigate, but we also have an office in Weybridge where our Support Team is based. The Council adopts an agile working policy, so we are able to provide some flexibility in terms of where you work from.
From flexible working arrangements to job sharing we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied to allow for agile working. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit Staff Benefits.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on Sunday 2nd October 2022.
Interviews will take place in person at our Weybridge office in the week commencing 17th October 2022.
This post has been designated as a politically restricted post in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
For an informal discussion please contact Kate Patel by email at Kate.Patel@surreycc.gov.uk