- Up to 37 hours per week
- Paralegal - £21,269 – £22,571 per annum, pro rata (pay award pending)
- Qualified as Legal Executive - £29,174 - £32,798 per annum, pro rata (pay award pending)
- Qualified as Solicitor - £36,371 - £40,578 per annum, pro rata (pay award pending)
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced individual to join our legal team in our offices in Bideford as a Paralegal, Solicitor or Legal Executive, working up to 37 hours per week. Please specify how many hours you would like to work and which role you are applying for in your application.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working in a legal environment and have excellent communication skills, with the ability to evaluate the logic of various arguments. You should also have good IT skills, ideally experience using Microsoft and case management systems.
As a Paralegal working for Torridge, you will get the opportunity to experience the diverse nature of local government law. You will be responsible for preparing routine leases, licences and assisting with property transactions. In addition, you will assist with S106 Agreements, planning matters, litigation matters, public inquiries, and the preparation of grant agreements.
As a Solicitor or Legal Executive working for Torridge, you will play an important part in the delivery of legal services to the Council. You will be responsible for a diverse and varied caseload and will provide professional legal advice to members, officers and at committees, enabling the Council to deliver its priorities to the communities it serves.
This role requires you to have a broad understanding of the law affecting local government but also detailed working knowledge and experience in one or more areas of law relevant to local government (e.g. property, conveyancing, environmental health and housing, planning, contract law, litigation)
Benefits of Working for Us
Our offices are located on the banks of the Torridge estuary in Bideford, one of the most breath-taking parts of the South West within walking distance of the dramatic North Devon Coastline.
We offer a fantastic benefits package, which includes:
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme which the Council contributes 17.5% to
- Access to an Occupational Health service to support you at work
- Enhanced sick pay
- Flexi time policy
- Annual leave starting at a minimum of 22 days (pro rata) and rising to a minimum of 25 days (pro rata) after 5 years (plus bank holidays)
- The option to purchase an extra 10 days (pro rata) annual leave
- 3 days extra annual leave for the Christmas shut down
- Access to the cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle for healthy, low carbon travel
- Extensive training, learning and development opportunities
How to Apply
If you are looking for a new professional challenge then contact our HR Team on 01237 428700 for a confidential and informal discussion about how this opportunity might be right for you.
To view a job description or to apply please visit our careers website https://careers.torridge.gov.uk/ to complete an online application form.
Closing date: 12 October 2022
Interview date: 27 October 2022