Our team provides an in-house Building Surveying, M&E consultancy and project management- we manage contracts delivering both capital projects and planned and reactive maintenance to Corporate, Community and School buildings.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and you’ll have the option to work on a largely remote basis within this role.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
We’ll need you to play a key role in managing project delivery of improvement and maintenance schemes to Corporate, Community and School projects from start to finish. This includes providing professional and technical advice to colleagues as a key subject matter expert for our team.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Undertake measured and structural surveys to properties
- Prepare technical Specifications, Schedules of Work, and all other necessary tender documents
- Prepare architectural designs using AutoCAD software
- Prepare and submit applications for Planning and Building Regulation approval
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety and Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations
You’ll also be involved in delivering stock condition surveys, and a programme of building refurbishment and improvement works, including those related to Health & Safety.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We’re looking for someone who has the expertise to provide a comprehensive professional and technical service in respect of maintenance, refurbishment, improvement, and new build schemes on Corporate, Community and School buildings.
The following skills and experience will really help you to hit the ground running.
- Degree in Building Surveying, or R.I.B.A. (Part 2 with Diploma), or HNC in Construction and post qualification experience
- Good specification writing skills
- A thorough and up to date knowledge of construction and best practice
- Project management experience and an understanding of project/programme management methodologies
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day Nursery) rated Outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Chris Rumbold - firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday 10th October 2022
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received.
Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.