We’re passionate about the people who live in our town and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood – we want to be the best landlord in town.
Our Housing Property Services manages a significant portfolio of residential property, from Victorian Terrace Houses, through to High Rise Flats and Modern Care facilities. At the very heart of the service is the Asset Management Team who are responsible for collection of information in relation to the council’s portfolio and the development of programmes of work, along with ensuring we are compliant with all housing and H&S legislation.
This role mostly field based and we’re happy to discuss flexible working options with you.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
About the role
We’ll need you to play a key role in this by delivering a range of survey types in relation to the Council’s housing; stock condition surveys, Decent Home and the checking of energy data. As a senior team member, you’ll also be involved with the development of the Council’s ambitious repair and improvement programmes.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Complete stock condition surveys, environmental surveys, HHSRS surveys, along with the verification of Energy data.
- Assist in the design and implementation of all types of surveys, audits and assessments and related processes.
- Provide professional and technical advice to teams within Property Services and Housing Management.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
We’ll need you to be a good communicator with a background in building maintenance, ideally with experience of undertaking a similar role for a social housing provider. A professional building surveying qualification would be advantageous but we’re happy to consider applicants with comparable professional experience or those working toward a qualification.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Knowledge of relevant statutory legislation.
- Ability to analyse problems and to provide flexible responses and advice.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in order to write reports, and to work effectively with tenants.
- Organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities.
- Modern working environment at the Bennet Road Offices in Reading.
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work.
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax.
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 10th October 2022
Interview Date: 20-21st October 2022
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.