Everyone in the district of Hertfordshire should to be able to access a decent home, so delivering homes to meet local needs is a key priority for the Council. We are looking for an inspirational Housing Development and Strategy Manager to join the friendly Housing team in Hertford.
About the Role
The housing challenges in East Herts are great but so are the Council’s ambitions. The adopted District Plan sees a further 15,000 new homes being developed over the coming 15 years.
The Council regularly achieves their target of 40% affordable homes on eligible sites but this can take some negotiation. The Council has recently adopted its new Housing Strategy for 2022-27 and now needs to develop and produce its Homeless and Rough Sleeping Strategy for the same period. There is now an opening for a Housing Development and Strategy Manager within the Housing team to lead on these three key strands of work.
With a large range of registered providers operating in the district, all demanding attention…there’s a lot to do!
Some of the main responsibilities include:
- Working with national, regional and local partner organisations to develop innovative ways of increasing affordable housing supply.
- Maximisation of delivery of affordable homes, together with planning colleagues.
- Management of housing development projects for the council and its housing company.
- Provision of advice and support to all partners and stakeholders working towards meeting housing need.
- Identifying and quantifying housing needs in East Herts and seek out ways to meet these needs.
- Providing in-depth advice to senior officers and elected members.
- Formulating and monitoring the council’s housing strategies.
- Providing advice to Town and Parish Councils on neighbourhood plans and rural exception.
The ideal candidate will:
- be up for the challenge of ensuring housing supply and delivery is at the centre of the Council’s priorities.
- be a strong team player able to work across a variety of partnership arrangements.
- be able to draw on expertise and experience of development and enabling and strategy work .
- have an understanding of development viability and grant funding mechanisms.
- have a good understanding of the current affordable housing policy context.
- be educated to graduate level or similar and/or hold a professional or technical qualification or similar.
- it would be desirable to have access to use of a car for work.
You may also have experience in areas such as Housing Development, Housing Strategy, Social Housing, or Housing Policy.
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact either Jonathan Geall, Head of Housing and Health, on 01992 531594 or Claire Bennett, Service Manager - Housing Services, on 01992 531603.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful. If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity